Shielding: What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 1nterest1ng, Feb 5, 2019.

1. 1nterest1ng

1nterest1ng

Apr 9, 2018
    Australia
    So a while ago, I had an issue with my Yamaha TRBX174 humming when the strings weren't being touched. Over time, I've managed to reduce the issue to the point where it no longer hums(with some help from friendly TBers), but still pops quietly when I touch the strings. I recently redid my janky aluminium foil+glue stick job with aluminium shielding tape(pickups and electronics cavity), but the issue is persisting. Any help is appreciated.

2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Shielding mitigates interference. Your issue sounds like poor grounding.

mustBmtd and saabfender like this.
  3. 1nterest1ng

1nterest1ng

Apr 9, 2018
    Australia
    The shielding is grounded, but I'll try improving that.

4. I use copper tape. All tape joins are soldered, the cavity shielding is wired to the pickup cavity shielding, the bridge earth wire is soldered to the copper as well as to the output socket. Every pot has an earth wire and all solder joints are A1. It was once stated by someone in the old days of BP mag that "too much shielding is almost enough". That is the proper attitude to take when shielding a jazz bass.

PawleeP, mustBmtd and BlueTalon like this.
  5. 1nterest1ng

1nterest1ng

Apr 9, 2018
    Australia
    So I checked the grounding, and everything is grounded to the bridge, yet it persists. What else could I try?

6. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Copper shielding and also I normally dismount my jack plug and shield it as well. And double check your bridge ground. Also you need to look at all your wiring and make sure you don't have any small wires touching and make sure everything that needs heat shrink. Still well covered with heat shrink.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021