Shifting notation question, in Serious Electric Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TheDude, Sep 25, 2003.

1. RE: Serious Electric Bass by Joel Di Bartolo, on Chapter 4, page 53, he starts talking about shifting. He starts using a notation I'm unfamiliar with - can anyone help me?

Here's what he has:

Exercise 1: One Note On the D String (Keep your hand open!)
    1st finger: 1-2 / 1-3 / 1-4
    2nd finger: 2-1 / 2-3 / 2-4
    3rd finger: 3-1 / 3-2 / 3-4
    4th finger: 4-1 / 4-2 / 4-3

And then a staff with 4/4 time sig, 4 bars, each with 4 quarter notes, all on the A note (top staff line).

I assume that he wants me to be shifting, since this is what the chapter is about... (see, I'm sharp as a rubber tack) But it's all the same note, so what am I shifting? and what does 1-2, 1-3, etc. mean? because he uses it throughout this chapter for all the shifting exercises.

Thanks for any help!
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    1 - index finger
    2 - middle finger
    3 - ring finger
    4 - pinky

You're playing the same note, but shifting the fretting finger. Make sense?
  3. Okay, the words "First finger" threw me off. So he meant "starting with the first finger." Gotcha.

Thanks Pacman!
  4. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I took a bass course from Jamie Faunt (Faunt school of music) called the "basic players course.

The idea was to develope smooth one string playing . The concept was to take finger #1 and shift up in half steps with no break in sound, You would first shift up a fret and then back until it sounded the same as going from finger #1 to #2 and back, You would do this with each finger ( 1-1,2 -2,3-3.4-4). When playing a scale, say a chromatic , you would play 1,2,3,4 and then practice a 4-1 shift and resume 2,3,4, then a 4 to 1 shift. The end result was to achieve a "seamless" ,even scale without any noticable interuption of sustained notes.

As you press down the finger tip of finger #1 you would keep the pressure on it as you added #2 to play the next fret above and keeping both #1 and #2 down add #3 ,keeping all three down add #4 and shift the entire hand,keeping pressure on the string up to the fifth note of the scale ,using #1 again.

You need to work on the shift so it sounds the same as going from #1-#2. Continuing the scale up the string requires several shifts ,and decending back down makes you do a #1 to #4 shift.

This makes one string playing smooth and even in tone/volume. You can then do it on each string and repeat the process for other scale types.

This may be similar to the thinking in your book.