Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shims

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mikkejohansson, Jul 10, 2004.

1. This has been up I know, but I need quick help...

What's a good material for shims in the bridge when fitting a pickup? Something that can help when the bridgae isnät completely flat where the pickup meets the wood?

Any suggestions? Reeds, picks...anything soft with a little "give" that can be used or does that steal from the sound too much?

Help!

2. I've had really good luck with those sheets of laminated wood you can buy at the hardware store. Ideally, if you're fitting an Underwood, just carve and sand patiently until you have a nice tight fit without using a shim, although i've used everything from paper to toothpicks.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    In a pinch the color ads from the Sunday paper work pretty well. The paper doesn't compress much so once you have it fitted this way the fit remains stable. I played with the Underwood shimmed this way for a few years and it worked just fine.

It takes a little practice to tear the paper away just right so that it doesn't look like ass and still does the job.

4. Too late... :meh:

The trouble is actually that the bridge isn't really flat in the contact area. Tried sanding it to make it fit better nut only made it slightly worse...it does fit but not very "snug".

It's a Bass Max by the way.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I usually suggest a hardwood, like maple, but different types of wood will result in different sound. If the bridge wing has a rounded contact area that cannot be filed enough to provide a large enough flat surface to contact with most of the pickup, it may be wise to flatten it further. Then, cut a hardwood shim to make up the lost space. Once you're happy with the position and size of the shim, it can be a good idea to use a spot of wood glue to keep it in place.

6. I've had really good luck with those sheets of laminated wood that you can buy at the hardware store.