1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shining Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Growly Lytes, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Wowza,
    I did some nut work the other day with some Oxy cleaner needle files & i am surprised in that it came out very good.
    Now.... The height of nut has obviously been lowered & the string is sitting roughly a little over half way in. So i want to now shave off some of the top of the nut to expose the string just a little bit to have the string half in & half out .The shaving is not the problem its after` how do i get it to be nice & shiny like it was before ??I dont have a buffer or a machine to do it so can it be done by hand ?
    Im thinking of leaving the nut on while i do this, will this be a problem.I did the slots with it on so i cant see why i should have to take it off but thats why im asking.
    Thanks Guys.....Keep Rockin
    G.L:bassist:

2. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    When I saw the title of the OP I was picturing a bald sociopath after he used Turtle Wax and a Chamois.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it's not really that important that the top of the nut be halfway up the string. all that matters are the slots' heights and shapes.

4. What kind of nut?

Bone? Brass?

5. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    LINE6.... Its a Fender P-Lyte, i think though i might be wrong thats its graphite ?
    Anyway Walterw says its not that important to have the string half in & out.
    Its just a tiny bit more than half so i may leave it for now. the slots are nearly perfect & the string height now is near perfect too.Theres no rattling or buzzing in open notes & the action is great now.The sound is better but maybe thats just me being happy with this job but it tunes easily no sharps now.
    JohnK said to use those things that ladies use to file there nails for poishing the tops of the nut so im going that route.
    God when you think of the nut on a bass & how small it is but how important it is` it sorta makes it bigger than it is !!
    Thanks everybody so far.
    Keep Rockin Brothers.
    G.L

6. Exactly.
    I don't see why it matters.

7. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    O.k , its what i have read on TB.I thought it might matter but as people have said it doesnt i quess as long as the string is snug is all that matters.
    Thanks Guys.
    RockOn.
    G.L

8. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    To shine just about anything, you just have to keep smoothing it out.

With a graphite nut, you could get the height close to where you want it, then use finer and finer grades of sandpaper until it gets close to shiny. If you wanted, you could wet sand it then use a polish on it. Eventually, it will shine.

Or if you are a hack like me, go to CVS, get some clear nail polish, mask off the areas near the nut, apply a few coats and see what happens. You could use an emory board to smooth it as you re-apply. Also, in the "Nail Care" aisle of CVS.
    It's cheap, easy, fast, and would bring shine to any material that a nut would be made of.

9. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Thanks dude `see` i quess again it does matter !!
    Hey Rojo do you know Tim T-Bone from Cinncinatti ? A session bass player Fender Lyte lover & a mate of mine that i havent yet met.He restores P-Lytes to even better than new ??
    Back to the NUTS` well i have read that the ideal height of the string should be half in & half out right here on TB. And this is from very well respected guitar & nut makers.I will not need to file much at all so its not a big job.Though im pleased that filing the nut down for the string height has made a big change for better, i dont know why i didnt do it before. Actually i was to scared of stuffing the guitar up but if you take your time & be patient you can get results good ones too.I was going to pay a luthier to do it `Lucky i didnt its easy, just read up on how its done & ask questions before.Also you dont really need to pay for expensive files ($50-$100) & straight edges or even feelers.I saw how to do this on YT with a piece of computer paper & some Oxy needle file cleaners for about $10:bassist:
    I absoutly love TB.But theres always an ***** one in the pub:bag:
    So im going to have shiny Nuts again.:hyper:
    Keep Rockin.
    G.L

10. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil

Wait, what?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021