1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping a bass internationally.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Donal OMaol, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Donal OMaol

Donal OMaol

Jun 8, 2018
    Hi all,

I'm looking to ship my beloved Sandberg California TM4 from Canada to Ireland. I've been quoted upto 800 cad in shipping. This is my first time shipping an instrument but the cost seems astronomically high. Do I have another option or am I going to have to suck up the cost?

Any advice is much appreciated!

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Have you contacted multiple companies? That seems steep.

Also have you tried detaching the neck to ship it in a smaller box?

TolerancEJ and pcake like this.
  3. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    For a lot less that that, you could buy it it's own seat on a regular flight.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  4. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    Transporting it as excess baggage with an airline passenger might be a cheaper option. If you or someone you know isn't flying there, I believe there are companies who arrange freight this way.

Might be worth researching and considering, anyway.

5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^commercial air freight should be cheaper than excess baggage on a passenger flight, unless it winds up being smaller and lighter than a typical suitcase ...which pretty much rules out any flight case that you would want to use to ship your bass across the Atlantic!

G-Z likes this.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I spent about $400 to send a bass to Spain a few years ago. It was air mail, one week via Canada Post. It was about $100~ to send it via boat. Bear in mind that boat takes a month+ and offers no tracking. If you are sending it via boat, best not to accept Paypal. I have always used bank wire transfers when dealing internationally (outside of the US.) For some reason, Americans run in terror if you mention a bank transfer but everywhere else in the world uses it all the time. Additionally, if you ship with a courier they will saddle you with additionaly charges once the bass arrives. Canada Post will be a little more up front but a lot less when it's all said and done.

If you are shipping this as a way to save on a move, I would highly recommend taking the bass apart and bringing it with you.

7. That's a much better idea! Plan a vacation to Ireland. Maybe the airfare is cheaper. Bring the bass instead of luggage and meet up with the buyer.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That would make a great excuse for a vacation, wouldn't it??

TolerancEJ likes this.