Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shipping a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spockrock79, May 20, 2005.

1. spockrock79

spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    NC
    i just sold my mim jazz on ebay and am about to ship it. now i have been the receiver of a few basses via package services but i have never shipped one. i have the box it came in and will be packing the bass in a heavily padded gig bag. do i need to loosen any of the strings or do anything else to the bass itself to make sure of safe arrival?

thanks in advance for any responses...

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

I usually loosen all the strings just because you have no idea what conditions the bass will be exposed to. Whether or not it makes a huge difference...not sure, but it's worked well for me.

3. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    I sold one on ebay before, wrap it in bubble wrap in a thin layer, cover it in come of that packing sheet (the nice brown stuff) then stick it in the box and fill it with peanuts to insure that it won't shack around.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    As previously mentioned.....

- loosen strings a bit (if you want....)
    - one layer of bubble wrap around the neck
    - put bass in gig bag
    - put gigbag in solid box and make sure you have enough balled up newspaper around the bottom, sides and top of the gigbag so that it can't move around.
    - tape the $&I+ out of the box ( do all the seams and the lid twice).

That should do it

- I always write the name of the shipping company and 'please handle with care - fragile'. Don't know if it makes a difference but all of the basses I have shipped have arrived in tact...... :rolleyes:

5. Why loosen the strings? You don't know which way the neck might get stressed, which way it might want to warp from the onditions, so I'd think you want to start with it "centered", which would be basically fully tuned up so the normal tension is on the neck.

Am I missing something?

Randy