1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping Bass To Europe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BeowulfKingsley, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Here's a question, I'm sure someone must know...I've got a tour in Europe coming up and I need to get a bass there. Would it be cheaper (and any safer) to ship it ahead, or just to pay the airline fees? I can send it to the drummer's place in the Netherlands and it should be fine there until I arrive. I've also considered buying something inexpensive over there, but prices are kind of high.

2. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I've shipped a bass to Ireland and it took 3 weeks. It spent over a week in customs. IMO it wasn't worth the hastle

3. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Why can't you bring it over in its original hardshell, as accompanied baggage ? Most airlines allow you to carry it in the cabin with you: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp#!specialty-items

It says: "Small musical instruments may be carried onboard the aircraft providing they meet existing carry-on size requirements and fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. We recommend all musical instruments travel in a hard-sided case in the event the item needs to be checked. Case dimensions may not exceed 45 dimensional inches (width + length + height), except for guitars which may be brought on board only if they can be safely stowed in an overhead bin or approved stowage location in the cabin. The instrument is considered the passenger's one allowed carry-on bag. A personal item is allowed in addition to the instrument"

4. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    be careful, ask Markusbass how it happened with the silly charges they ask for customs....

691 dollars for a 2500 dollar bass!!!

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    If it is not a neck through, separate the neck from the body, pack the body in your suitcase, wrap the neck in bubble wrap and carry it on.

New gear does cost more over here, but you can get good deals on used. But, the USD is not the strongest currency and you could get hosed on the exchange.

6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Shipping a bass to the Netherlands will run you around $100, and you won't be able to ship the case. You'll have to detach the neck in order to fit the bass into a box that the USPS will accept. You can ship the bass and case using UPS/FedEx, but that will cost you $400. Then there's customs. They might find it a stretch to believe that a bass is being shipped for the reason you're saying, and may end up insisting you pay an import tariff.

Shipping is much more of a hassle than bringing it in the cargo hold of the plane.