1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shipping Status: Billing information received. What gives?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whammerjammer, Aug 22, 2007.

1. whammerjammer

whammerjammer

Aug 10, 2007
    Last week, after a year on backorder, I got an email from a major online retailer that my bass was shipped. I got a tracking number for the company that is the opposite of DOWNS. The shipping status was: billing information received. Now, 5 business days later the status online is the same: billing information received. No bass has arrived.

Has this happened to anyone? Is it a fairly common error and does it usually have a happy ending? Should I hang on to any hope for this guitar? To quote Brian Atene: "I scared!" Actually, I'm very scared. There is not another unit that can be shipped out if this one doesn't make it to me. Back on the list for God knows how long.

Any thoughts, experiences, advice would be helpful.

Sleepless in Austin

2. I find that trackign info is generally not too reliable.

Depending on the company used it will be different, I find UPS to be the most accurate. I have had FedEx shipments where the trackign info once said the package was in my province, and the next day it said it was back at the distributor. If you can your best bet is to call the company and give them the trackign number, chances are they will know more accurately where your package is.

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    This has happened to me , usually means that the bass has been packed and info sent to the shipper but is not scanned onto a truck yet.

or, it some how got on a truck without a update to tracking .

IE it could be on the way .

call the shipping co. and keep hitting zero for an actual person as well as go online and email them about it.

also call the retailer and be persistent.

be very nice but firm with these people , piss them off and your done.

4. Moose308

Moose308

May 3, 2002
    Canada
    From someone who works as a shipper and uses DOWNS daily, this message usually means that the customer probably has a DOWNS computer or shipping system, and has "processed" the order, entering it into the shipping. They then wait for their regularly scheduled pickup to give the shipment to the local DOWNS driver. Until a DOWNS driver actually touches the package and scans it into the system, thus instigating the whole tracking trail, it remains a ghost shipment, where DOWNS has only been told there is a pickup to be made.

5 days seems excessive for a processing time. Typically I see a 1 day turn around. I ship on Monday, the driver picks it up on Tuesday morning, or something like that.

I doubt this is DOWNS problem. I would start with the people who are shipping the bass. If they say "oh it left our warehouse all right" you can respond with "prove it. DOWNS hasn't scanned it yet."

5. While youre at it call DOWNS and if they say "oh we haven't seen it yet" you can then say "prove it, the shipper said he sent it out"

I think the shippers word is just as good as DOWNS scanning, ie DOWNS may have not scanned it yet but they have it in posession.

6. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I shipped a bass via fed-up to a tb'er 16/8/07
    by the 20th it was not in the system went back
    was told to call a manager, and it finally appeared
    as shipped on 20/8/07, the eta keeps changing daily,
    the tracking system at fed-up is delusional!!

EB/

7. whammerjammer

whammerjammer

Aug 10, 2007
    The shipper is being very cooperative at the present time despite my urgent demands. Shipper is complacent... totally. You're right... I need to back off and see what happens for a few days. The only real problem at this point is that there is NO replacement product available and who know when it will become available again. That's the killer.

8. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    As someone who has worked in a retail position like this, I can understand how it can be frustrating. What the comment above said (the firm but kind one) is exactly what you need to do. I'm sure it is fine and you will get it soon.

9. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I almost ALWAYS receive my package from both of those companies before any tracking info even comes up on the computer.

10. DOWNS has always been my preferrd shipping company...atleast compared to Fedex or DHL.......idk....could just be a computer mistake....give another day then call those mofos.

11. whammerjammer

whammerjammer

Aug 10, 2007
    Turns out that the retailer messed up the shipment. Forgot to put my address on the box the first time out. Went back to warehouse. Shipped out again a couple of days ago. Thats why it wasn't tracking on shipper website. It had the wrong number on it altogether. Shows up unannounced at my front door today. My heart started racing. Open the box......

WRONG COLOR!!! How did I P1$$ off the God's of Bass this badly. I guess I'm going to hold this one hostage until my bass of preference arrives.

12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have a 'DOWNS' account at my shop, and ship tons of stuff as well as receive basses at the shop.

The tracking system used to be better detailed, and updated more regularly. The crappy system they have now with very little info is a recent thing.

billing info received usually now means it has been picked up, but you probably won't see any updates until the package lands at your closest nearby hub. Longest wait should be a week.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! You wait for a year and it's the wrong color! Oh man, I wouldn't know whether to laugh my butt off or go to the home city of this shipper and egg their front entrance!

So what kind of bass is this where it takes a year to get it in the wrong color?

14. whammerjammer

whammerjammer

Aug 10, 2007
    Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo was the original preference.

15. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    don't tell me , you got a jet glo.

the most populr Ric color.

???? what now????

16. I had a good feeling it was a Rickenbacker

Nothign wrong with a jetglo... you can keep it and get a fireglo also :) can't have too many ricks.

17. whammerjammer

whammerjammer

Aug 10, 2007
    Actually, it was Midnight Blue. The least popular color. But I have to say that seeing it in person, it looks 10x better than any photograph I've seen. The pearl blue is always changing in the light and is darker and richer than flash photos show. The blue with rich brown fingerboard and silverish inlays and the chrome strike a very nice balance actually. Still, fireglo says 4003 to me. I don't know.

18. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Man , I am glad I don't have to make the decisions your gonna have to.

fireglo may be gone till next year, new one that is.

I say a hell of a discount is in order

I'm curious , look at the inner cardboard box at the ric label , by the model does it say something like ...

4003 MB
    or
    4003 FG
    ETC...

19. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    maybe someone got a fireglo and wanted MB

20. whammerjammer

whammerjammer

Aug 10, 2007
    The box was clearly marked on the top with Sharpie 4003 MID. Plus there was a smaller label that said BLUE twice on it. It was just a freaky, totally jacked up order. They swear more FG's are on the way. On;y time will tell.