1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shops that do bow trials?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by piggywiddle, Jan 11, 2020.

1. piggywiddle

piggywiddle Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I've been looking for a high end french bow for a while. Contacted Robertston's twice by e-mail but never heard back. Have any idea which big shops do trials to Canada? I'm in the market for a bow that's 10k+, ideally 125g-132g

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you contacted Prochownik or Reid Hudson? Most shops here (US) will send a bow out on trial with a deposit.

piggywiddle likes this.
  3. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I've had much better luck calling Robertsons when i needed to contact them. Other than that, David Gage, Cincinnati Bass Cellar, Quantum Bass, The bass Violin Shop, and probably others all do trials. Shipping to Canada may cost a little more in shipping but I'd think at least most of them would be okay with that. Usually you need to give a deposit or at least a card # before they send anything but I'd just call the shops and see what they have and what their policies are. I'd assume there are some shops in Canada as well but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Phil Rowan, piggywiddle and the_Ryan like this.
  4. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    Most shops. Try calling instead of emailing Robertsons. I've always found them friendly and helpful.

DrMole and piggywiddle like this.
  5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    There may be a problem with any bow with an ivory tip going back and forth between Canada and the US -- I don't know for sure but worth checking.
    Louis

piggywiddle likes this.
  6. piggywiddle

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I think Reid has retired. I've owned a few Prochownik bows and they're pretty good but I want something with a higher grade of Pernambuco.

7. Reid Hudson hasn't retired, but he doesn't make bass bows any more :bored:

8. piggywiddle

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    That's pretty much the same thing.

9. Except that he still makes violin, viola and cello bows :)

10. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    It should be noted that bow makers may also send you some bows on trial if you reach out to them, establish a relationship, and perhaps put down a deposit. At least that's been my experience. I've also had A440 in Chicago, Guarneri House, Bass Cellar, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others, send me bows on trial. I ultimately wound up going with an excellent Les Korus bow, bought from the man himself (he, too, sent a number of bows to try out, and was great to deal with).

11. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Two other suggestions for makers would be Max Kasper and Bill Halsey in Maine

12. piggywiddle

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I have a Kasper Snakesood German bow, a Prochownik Purpleheart French bow and some historical bows. Currently trying a lovely Pierre Yves Fuchs bow that sounds great but is too heavy for my taste (145g). I'm looking for a master level bow, ie. Sartory, Vigneron, deLuccia, etc..

13. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Talk about (as you said in the other thread) "impressive resume" - I bow to you, sir. At that level it's a matter of taste and bank book. I was lucky enough to have a marvelous Kolstein bow from the 1950s for many years. If you haven't considered them, I think Bill Halsey, Jordan Scampinello, Emilio Slaverio, Lucchi, and (sometimes) Marco Pasquino make new bows at that level. Happy hunting.
    Louis