1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

shortscale flatwound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Caksi, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Caksi

Caksi

Nov 28, 2008
    Hi
    I have a problem with my Beatle bass...
    It's a short scale that should be strung with flats... the kind of strings I can't buy in my city! I found D'Addario Chromes Medium scale... is this a good replacement, and should I cut them short?
    One more thing, what gauge should I go for... since I play in Eb tuning! Will 50-70-85-105 do the job?

It's a bit urgent, since I broke the last set of PYRAMID's :(

Thank you!!!

2. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I believe that though the beatlebasses are shortscale (I have an Epi Viola), due to the trapeze/bridge system they use they need medium scale (32")... I have Thomasik Infeild (sp?) jazz flats on my Epi, and if they ever break, will replace them with the same. I think some companies lable some of their strings as "beatle bass length", but i could be wrong...

3. It depends on the type of Beatle Bass. German Hofner's have a shorter tailpiece so you can use 32" while the import Hofners use a longer tailpiece that 30" strings are better on.

I was able to use 32" TI strings on my Contemporary Club bass but it required wrapping some of the actual string without silk around the tuner.

Also the E string was too thick and adjustment to the nut would be needed. I think that Hofners require a .100 or less E string.

4. what the hell did you do to break your pyramids??

5. Caksi

Caksi

Nov 28, 2008
    There is an obvious problem with D string in that "Beatle bass" Pyramids... I broke it 3 times already! Maybe just my sets... but I'm not an idiot, who brakes strings playing the Beatles (as something gentle)!

Thank you for your replies, I'll sure try something else... though I spent whole day trying to find ANYTHING FLATWOUNDED in 20 miles circle! F***ing ex eastern block country:crying:

6. Caksi

Caksi

Nov 28, 2008
    In fact, I am!:scowl:

7. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Thomastik-Infeld JF324H Flat Wound Short Scale HOFNER Bass Guitar Strings

8. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I'm diggin' the GHS Pressure Wound short scale strings on my Epi V bass.

9. I use GHS shortscale flatwound strings on my bronco ,,even though they are 30 inch scale i think they are a bit longer than that. I get some wire wool and hand polish mine before installing , makes them nice and smooth.

10. I believe LaBella makes a set for Beetle basses as well as TI.

11. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    What do you use to handpolish your strings before putting them on?

LP

12. BassJo

BassJo

Dec 22, 2008
    Norway
    Chromes come in both short (30") and medium (32") scale lengths. Gauge is 45-100.

BassJo

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member