1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shostakovich Adagio recording

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by eerbrev, Jan 16, 2012.

1. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
  2. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Take a look at measure 38. Not bad, but work on pitch, and using a sexier vibrato. There's not a whole lot of dynamic in your performance, and the section starting at 39 could be much more singing. Have you heard a recording of this for cello solo with orchestra?

Isn't there a version of this released for the ISB competition a couple years back? I believe the part was written down a step, for solo tuning. Anybody still got a copy of that?

3. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    Thanks! I agree with your comments. My teacher has a copy of the edition for solo tuning, but didn't have a piano part around. I had the edition for cello and had the piano part, so I decided to go for that one. Honestly, I kind of like this key (sans solo tuning) better, even though the other key works with harmonics more.

thanks a lot for listening.

eerbrev

4. Dcon101

Dcon101

Aug 3, 2012
    Hi, do you know the publisher of the solo tuning edition and where I may be able to obtain a copy? Thanks!

5. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    unfortunately, I don't. it seems like the Edition Chicagodoubler was talking about has the bass part down a step instead of the piano part up a step, so you could always transcribe it yourself!

cheers,

eerbrev

6. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Ancient post, but every shift should be accompanied with a respective movement of the bow. If you watch the left hand and bow, they don't always match. If one moves to a higher pitch up the string, the bow should move higher as well.

Have you done the Karr "vomit" exercise?