1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by xXxTWO FACExXx, Apr 14, 2010.

1. xXxTWO FACExXx

xXxTWO FACExXx

Oct 27, 2009
    I got new tuners for my Ripper project bass and when I was screwing them in I noticed this ( Look at picture)

It looks like someone tried drilling new holes for new tuners but anyway notice the bottom left hole that new hole that's too close to the original. I installed the tuner without any trouble what so ever but now when I turn the turning peg I hear a crunching sound what should I do?

Attached Files:

2. BooHead

BooHead

Oct 12, 2009
    You could fill the holes up with wood glue or some sort of wood filler. I had a similar problem. I was installing strap locks on my bass and the hole on the bass was larger then the screw on the strap locks. I just filled the hole with wood glue and put the strap lock on and let it dry over night. I have never had a problem.

3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Fill the holes with wood glue and then break off hardwood toothpicks, let it dry and then smooth the surface, redrill if necessary.
    Rocky