1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J-Basser, Apr 19, 2010.

1. J-Basser

J-Basser

Apr 19, 2010
    I currently have a Ibanez Srx 300 bass. Today I saw a Mexican made Fender P-bass For $250 used. I am unsure if I should sell my Ibanez to get the fender. The fender has a few small dents in the headstock, a very small but deep chip in the finish. Should I sell my Ibanez for the fender or should I just keep it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Both basses are pretty different animals. While build quality among Ibanez and Mexican Fender will certainly be a point of dissention, what is it that makes you want to sell the Ibanez, and what makes you want to buy the Fender?

3. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    can never go wrong with a p bass. i just cant stand that particular color combination though. to me it seems very generic.

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    yes. and puts a black pg on it.

5. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    In looks alone, you're MILES ahead of the Fender. Did you play the Fender? If not, case closed.

IMO
    X8

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm way more of a P fan but it's the bird in the hand so to speak, would you like the P twice as much? If you are already thinking of moving on and would like to try out the standard to which bass guitar tone is compared to (except by people whose opinions don't count so don't listen to them unless they're telling you to shave your cat) then by all means jump on the P bass. $250 for an MIM P is pretty good.

7. J-Basser

J-Basser

Apr 19, 2010
    (The mutt) I dont have any spare cash, so I would NEED to sell the Ibanez to even consider buying it. I have played it and it has a great feel. F.y.i. these pics I just googled, not the actual basses.

8. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I'm a sentimentalist. That being said, Did you buy the Ibanez new? Is it your first bass? You know what kind of care it has had over the years. Years from now you'll look back and long for "your first!"

Just a(nother) thought.
    X8

9. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    I personally would stick with the ibanez

10. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    dual humbuckers
    24 frets
    toploading bridge
    Yeah..id keep the ibby, but then again, I am not a huge fan of the P bass....
    Which do you like the sound of better?

11. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Personally I would keep your Ibanez as it is a much better bass. But if you like the Fender better then do it. Personally I don't really care for Fenders but that is just my taste.

12. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    Are the knobs on the Fender the white plastic ones? If so that means it's a mid 90s one IIRC. I don't think the quality of those was that great. I just sold an SRX300(to help pay for an SRX690) and got about $150 out of it so I don't think you could sell yours for enough to purchase the Fender. I'd stick with the Ibanez.

OOD likes this.
  13. As a fellow SRX-300 owner I would say keep it, if your not sure. Your not gonna get much for a trade or quick sell on the SRX and there's plenty of used P-basses that come on the market all the time. Save up some cash and add it to the arsenal when you can afford.

Unless That P-bass is just calling you. In that case do what your gut tells you, it usually work out.

I do understand though. I defently see a used fender every once in a while that catches my intrest, just not willing to give up the SRX for it.

14. J-Basser

J-Basser

Apr 19, 2010
    Ibanez was used, but very little. Just a few little nicks. Its my second bass. My first was a headless quest, which I gave to a friend who was starting out. The Ibanez has had very good care.

15. J-Basser

J-Basser

Apr 19, 2010
    The knobs are Metal on the P-bass. That info is really helpful. Where did you sell your bass? It would be really helpful to know. I also have a crappy guitar that I picked up for a video game(a Squier infinity series) that I could sell. My b-day is coming up so my dad might be able to help out in light of that.

16. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd choose the P bass if it were me, But I am more into the traditional electric bass look. P basses are a staple of the industry, the modifying possibilties are endless.

17. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    I sold my SRX300 on ebay. It sold pretty quick so I may have had the buy it now price too low but I don't think they will sell for much more than that($150). If you can swing it and really want to, go for the P. My 2nd and I think 6th basses were Fender Ps. I really wanted to like them but they were a little too mellow for me. My friends who can play "harder" than me can make a P sound awesome(aggressive), I just can't. That's why I like the SRXs, they naturally sound aggressive and with my light playing I can mellow out the sound when needed.

OOD likes this.
  18. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Get a Frank Bello J sig. Its nice.