1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

should i drill my new neck myself?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RedLS1Iroc, Apr 28, 2009.

1. RedLS1Iroc

RedLS1Iroc

Apr 6, 2008
    i just purchased a new mighty might fretless neck for my p bass, it seems to fit in the neck pocket very snug and secure. my question is if i should drill it myself and how, or if i should just have a luthier do it for me.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you drill it yourself, remember - you can always drill a hole bigger - but not smaller.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    just don't drill through the fretboard.

4. Personally if I didn't own a drill press I would never drill screw holes for necks, if all you have is just a hand held drill, be warned that the margin for error is quite high.

5. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Do you own a drill press?

Do you know how to use a drill stop (even if just masking tape on the bit) to avoid drilling to deep?

Do you know how to determine what size bit to use to match the screw size?

If you answered no to any of these questions, don't even think about it.

If you answered yes to all three, why haven't you already done it?

6. RedLS1Iroc

RedLS1Iroc

Apr 6, 2008
    thanks for the help guys. i dont have a drill press but i do have drill guides and drill stops available so im goin to give it a shot.
    i do have one more question. when i removed the factory neck the pocket seemed to have some sort of a rubber shim (1/2x1/2 in.) in it, im wondering what this was for and if i need to shim the neck pocket

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I's a shim to adjust the angle of the neck. You may or may not have to use it. Try it in the exact same spot first and see.