1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I Get A new Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blackhawk9813, Aug 23, 2012.

1. blackhawk9813

blackhawk9813

Aug 18, 2012
    I need help figuring out whether or not I should be looking for a better quality bass. I currently own a "Slammer" Hamer Impact Bass which somewhat resembles a Musicman Stingray. I've Had it for several years, I got it at around $130 USD at a local music store and it plays pretty well for a starter/practice bass. I also have a Jay Turser Beatle Bass that I love. I got it at roughly $250 USD for Christmas. It sounds great and is fun to play. Considering I'm still pretty new at bass, I don't want anything that's too incredibly expensive. I generally like to play alot Alternative Rock and Grunge music. I know that preference has a lot to do with it but if someone could point me in the direction of a nice bass it would be great.

P.S
    Like I said earlier I'm new at bass so if I said something stupid here than don't hold it against me. This is also my first post

2. Sounds like your basses are all right, as long as they're set up well. Unless you're just wanting to get a new bass, and in that case there's no problem with that. What are you using for an amp? A good amp can make a bigger difference in your tone than a new bass.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Anyway:
    Think eventually about an Epiphone reverse Thunderbird PRO

Reliable mahogany setneck bass with a 2 band equalizer and a proficient HiMass bridge, available on the PRO model only, capable of one of the longest (budget) sustain there is!

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Welcome to the fun.

Try not too get too many new basses over your playing career. Play everyone single bass you can at music stores, find one that REALLY REALLY does it for you. And roll with it. Changing bass alot tends to keep your body constantly adapting to different shapes and feels. Keeping the same bass for a long time helps become a better player. Need proof? Victor Wooten. He has always used a Fodera monarch. If I'm not mistaken, his ying yang bass has the EXACT same dimensions as his first one. find a bass you love, and make it your *****. ;)

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Welcome! And remember, no one has EVER posted anything stupid on talkbass.

I always think Squiers are good for the money. They are not the end all be all, but I had to say it.

6. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    What's the best thread for metal?

7. blackhawk9813

blackhawk9813

Aug 18, 2012
    well the amp im using right now is a Crate MXB50 and its ok. Its a big step up from my Fender 15 watt amp.

8. Peavey impress people with your sound and not the name on the head stock ! :bassist:

9. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    If you have aspirations of playing with a band, the money would be better spent for a more powerful amp.

Basses are great, but having three of them with an under-powered amp won't do you any favors.

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I would consider getting a bigger or more powerful amp/rig to play through so that you can jam with others. You can sit at home all you want and practice but it's quite different jamming live with others. And there are quite a few inexpensive amps available with decent power. AND welcome to the bassment!!!!

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    If you are thinking about a new bass and you have the money, yes, you should get a new bass. Nuff Said! MORE BASS!! Love that gas