1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I install a detuner?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by x52dcd, Jul 10, 2012.

Install the detuner?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2012.
  1. Yes - do it!

127 vote(s)
    56.2%
  2. No - don't do it!

99 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. x52dcd

x52dcd

Nov 29, 2010
    Canada
    So...I picked up a Hipshot detuner for my Lakland Skyline JO, assuming it would be a simple swap. Turns out though, that I'll have to enlarge the peg hole by a tiny amount to get the drawnut to fit - maybe 1/16", if that much. So I guess this means that adding this tuner would not be a reversible mod.

So, should I proceed? Is it worth making a change that I can't undo?

2. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have a Schaller d-Tuner that didn't require any mods (for a Fender). It works great and I love the convenience, but I wouldn't drill out a hole for it. I would just try to keep songs in drop D next to each other in the setlist or make sure your bandmates give you enough time to tune in between songs.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'm pretty sure Hipshot makes different sizes. Maybe you just need a different model.

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I wouldn't do it if it were irreversible. Contact Hipshot to see if they offer a PnP bushing.

I would typically bring a second bass for alternate tuning, which could also serve as a backup.

5. x52dcd

x52dcd

Nov 29, 2010
    Canada
    This is definitely the right model - I confirmed with Lakland (they offer it as a factory option). They even said that the hole may have to be slightly enlarged...guess I should have asked first :)

6. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    I would do it. The hipshot is a invaluable creative tool that you are unlikely to want to remove.

7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    You will never want to reverse it, great mod. Never had one until I got my Fender RB IV, comes factory installed and makes my life a lot easier!

8. It's a nice thing to add, provided your bass doesn't have a hint of neck dive as-is. Depending on model, they can weigh a surprising amount more than an ordinary tuner. Some here have posted about being frustrated by this effect.

9. x52dcd

x52dcd

Nov 29, 2010
    Canada
    Weight isn't an issue - bass is stock with hipshot ultralights, as is the new detuner. The only issue (which I should have put in the poll) is having to make the hole a shade bigger, thus making it irreversible.

10. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have a Lakland Skyline JO as well, a fretless model. I went from Hipshot LIC. clover style ultralites to ostensibly the same size in Hipshot USA ...there was a slight difference. Quite annoying, having to do the work to enlarge the hole...but worth it.

Things about doing this that didn't bother me:

the ultralite design is very clever, and doesn't actually require an exact diameter of hole. By the nature of the design, the tuner screws into itself, allowing it to clamp tightly to the headstock, and the one screw holds it into place, directionally.

So I could kind of just make the hole bigger arbitrarily to a degree, and if the tuner fit in the hole and the hole wasn't bigger than the "nut" part, I was golden.

So I'd assume your JO also has Hipshot LIC and you installed a Hipshot USA detuner. Honestly, I would just get 3 more matching tuners from USA and do work on all the holes. It would be an upgrade that you'd have no reason to reverse, and would make the bass more desirable, should you choose to sell it.

BEST OF ALL...you can sell your old set of tuners and offset the price of the new USA tuners, which are indeed better, by quite a bit.

:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

11. x52dcd

x52dcd

Nov 29, 2010
    Canada
    Hmmm....interesting idea!!!

12. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I installed a hipshot on my Fender in 1988, and have put one on every bass I've had since (except my Lakland 5 string). Once you install it and get it set up, you'll find yourself using it all the time. IMO one of the best mods out there, especially when you factor in cost. lpcarter had a good idea with converting all your tuners. BTW, instead if drilling, try using a round or oval wood rasp. you'll be able to remove small amounts of wood at a time and test fit the pieces as you go.

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I don't play 5-strings so I have played for years alternating between standard and drop-D tuning. I had a Hipshot on my P-Bass for several years and while it was a nice convenience, I've done just fine without it, too.

For awhile in my current band I carried 2 basses onstage (one standard and one tuned to drop D), then my 2nd bass crapped out so now I have to go to drop D on the fly, and tune back up afterwards. We don't use setlists so that makes it even more interesting. I have a good tuner and have had to do it enough that I can de-tune / re-tune in about 10 seconds anymore (faster than it took me to switch basses), and be spot-on in tune every time.

Like anything else, you can get pretty fast and good at it with practice. A Hipshot is nice to have if drop-D tuning is part of your repertoire, but not having one isn't a deal breaker either.

14. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    The only reason I say don't do it is that Hipshot might have one that would fit better without having to drill it out. I would check with them and see if you can give them some measurements. If not, I would install it. It would in most eyes just add to the value of the instrument. If you can get one that would fit it properly without the drilling and you ever decide to sell it, you can go back to the original if you want to keep the de-tuner, granted it might not fit whatever other bass you get. All things to consider.

15. Sounds like it'd be best drill holes for a new tuning machine all together ;) 5 strings are so convenient.

16. x52dcd

x52dcd

Nov 29, 2010
    Canada
    Briefly had a 5'er...just couldn't get my brain to adapt. Patience, I have none.

I've just sent an email to BestBassGear and Hipshot for feedback on "reversible" options. I believe the issue may possibly lie in metric vs. imperial measurement differences between the Korean Skyline and US Laklands...

The poll is almost 50/50 right now. You guys aren't helping :)

17. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    I own a Skyline Glaub and Dunn with the Hipshot Licensed Ultralites, and I had the same problem with getting the detuner to fit. No need to break out the drill - just tell Hipshot you need the "Fender nut" to replace the drawnut that came with the detuner. It's slightly smaller and will fit in the hole like a glove. Hipshot sent it to me free of charge - just email/call customer service and they should hook you up.

18. x52dcd

x52dcd

Nov 29, 2010
    Canada
    Fender drawnut, huh? That would be perfect if it works! I'll look into it.

19. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    If De Tuner is what you really want do it. I have one on my Fender fretless and one on my Dyna-Bass fretless. Love them. I had Hipshot make the one on the Peavey. They made the original factory De-Tuner for my model 20 years ago but had discontinued it. The rep asked a few questions and had me send pictures of the existing tuners and said he could make it and to the black finish I was looking for. When all said and done he took off 20% for being a TB member. Call them 800-262-5630 there great to work with.

20. Heck yeah. Call them. Hipshot are some of the best people to deal with. And since they make everything in-house, they're able to make just about anything.