1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

should i stick with elixir

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DRN-PWNS, Sep 29, 2008.

1. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    I just picked up a new bass yesterday part of the deal was i can get 10 sets of any strings i want over the year my bass came stock with elixirs. i like the sound and all but should i try other strings as the year progresses?

2. 10 sets of strings=10 years of playing
    What do you think?

3. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Elixirs are good strings, some people like the coating and some people don't. I've personally never tried them but my guitarist friend swears by them.

My bass is currently strung with GHS Boomers, but if I got 10 (!) free sets then I'd play Elixirs fo' sho!

4. Are you serious? 10 sets of any strings you want? That's a fantastic deal!

I personally like DR fat beams. I would get some of those bad boys.

5. mario222

mario222

Dec 12, 2007
    Get 4 set of flats and your set for life!

6. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    Get what you want. If you've found something you like, why mess with it?

7. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I would take them. I used to really like those strings. I tried a few free sets from Elixir on my bass at the time, a Carvin 5-string. The feel was great and I loved the "broken-in, not too brite tone". I went through a few more sets with that base. Concidentially, I started to have problems with the strings at about the same time I sold the bass. The coatings on the last two sets started to shed after a few months (I play finger-style, no picks). I stopped playing them at that point and used the strings that came on my Fender Roscoe Beck V. Therefore, unless they have made significant improvements in the coating technology, you might only get a few months with each set of strings.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the Elixir strings?

8. I love elixirs,...

they have a slightly dark tone, easy to play on, good for sliding and bending,... I love them :)
    edit: and the coating comes off yes but it doesn't seem to affect anything... just looks shabby if someone comes and inspects it?

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    dude, where did you buy a bass that they gave you 10 free sets(and how much was the markup on that bass?)?

10. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Yes, go with Elixirs, they came on my ATK too but I didn't know if I wanted to pay $40 every time I needed new strings, and I tried D'addarios and DR black beauties, and eventually came back to Elixirs and they're twice as awesome as I remember them.

11. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I say buy 5 sets of the strings you know you like and are comfortable with and and then use the rest on experimenting.

12. This is a pretty good idea, if I do say so myself. Experimenting is one of the best ways to learn what you'll love. You may be happy with Elixers now but some day you may come across a set of strings that blow you away.

-Josh

13. dsperry

dsperry

Oct 3, 2008
    I'd say use the GHS Flea signature Bass Boomers. They rock and have great sound. I have them on my bass right now and I have to say I'm in love.

14. I've been using Elixirs on my bass for many years and I love them. I play a 5-string fretless and I'm very happy with the feel, tone, and of course the long life.

15. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    its an ibby sr400qm i bought it at guitar works for 339 which as 310 dollars of the marked price.

16. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    10 sets of strings.

What don't you get for example:

2x sets of flatwound
    2x Elixir Strings
    2x DR strings

etc

17. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The question is do you get the strings up front or do you have 10 free string changes? Sounds like changes. In that case, you couldn't possibly go thru 10 sets of elixers in a year, they last forever.

18. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    For as long as I've known my guitar-playing buddy he's always strung up his acoustics with Elixirs, so they must be pretty good. I've never tried Elixir bass strings, but if you're getting 10 free sets of strings, I'd definitely pick up a few...

19. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    I can't stand elixirs. They sound stale to me. Plus, my fingers were lagging and sticking with them.