1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I try the Wan Bernadel?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Thebasshero95, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Thebasshero95

Thebasshero95

Jan 17, 2012
    Im thinking about trying the Wan Bernadel at Stringemporium.com but dont have the money to purchase it but still need a bass. I think that if im not close to purchasing a bass I shouldnt bother on paying shipping money to ship it for a week. What do you think I should do?

2. jloehrke

jloehrke

Dec 23, 2010
    Why do that? There are always going to be instruments that you can't afford that sound better than what you can. My first teacher was the great bassist Richard Davis. He taught out of the lower floor of his W. 87th St. brownstone, and had several wonderful basses, one, in particular, was the first lions head I'd ever seen and had a huge sound up and down arco or pizz and played like butter. One time I complained that my bass wasn't good enough. He said that a bass players job was to fall in love with the bass he has. Check out the Thompson hybrid bass from the String Emporium. A student of mine just got one, and it's very nice. A jazz player could have a career on it, and a classical player could go a long way with it, and probably end up keeping it forever as a second bass

3. Thebasshero95

Thebasshero95

Jan 17, 2012
    You are right I just need a new bass since I decided to do this in college and possibly as a career I wanted to get the one I wanted the most that was really high quality to save me money from buying more than one bass in the long run.

4. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    BRAVO!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!

I can't think of anything to add to such a profound, perfect statement, so I shall leave it be.

Namaste,

Joe

5. crowsmengegus

crowsmengegus Supporting Member

Where are you? Maybe somebody near you has a Wan B they'd let you play.

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    We know what you can't afford, but not what you can. What is your budget?

7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Play as many basses as you can as often as you can. See below.

Nuh uh. EVERY BASS EVER BUILT sounds better than what I can, J., if Richard Davis is playing it.

Man, you started at the top!

That's a statement about passion, not monogamy.

Love the bass you're with but play 'em all! See what you dig and figure out how you can get closer to that sound with the one you usually play. Because, as you'll hear many folks around here note, a good bassist can pull his or her desired sound from whatever instrument is at hand.

Next . . . .

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    and what are you playing now?

9. Thebasshero95

Thebasshero95

Jan 17, 2012
    I am currently playing a glaesel db 673 antonius stradivarius copy great bass with great sound for a ply but just so hard to play compared to my school ply bass which I dont know the name of. The playability is the main reason why I feel I should upgrade.

10. Playability is mainly a function of setup. Take the bass to a bass luthier in your area and get it set up properly.

11. Thebasshero95

Thebasshero95

Jan 17, 2012
    Its mostly with the shape of the neck my hand just cramps up while playing my personal bass (which has a much thinner neck) but when playing my school bass (which has a thicker neck) its not uncomfortable at all its real easy to bow especially since I just put evahs on it a couple of months ago so its just the left hand that bothers me.

12. Thebasshero95

Thebasshero95

Jan 17, 2012
    Best quote you could hear from anybody. Anyways dont get me wrong I love my bass Its beautiful with a nice sound for a ply. Infact if I dont sell my bass to upgrade (and I hope I dont) I would still play it whenever I can.

13. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    To answer your original question: no, you shouldn't ask the String Emporium (or any other instrument seller) to ship you a bass until you're ready to follow through on the process. Too many things can go wrong--If you damage the bass during your "trial" period, you're liable. Additionally, paying the non-trival costs of shipping is an expensive way to try out a single bass for a single week. And it's kind of an abuse of the good faith inherent in the trial system: the merchant is taking the time to set up, package and haul the bass (to and from the airport) with no compensation other than the hope of a sale.

Put your current bass up for sale, save your money and look forward to playing these step-up basses when the time is right.