1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Request Show some emotion by Joan Armatrading

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by GManfromOz, Sep 24, 2017.

1. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    I did a site search and didn't see anything so if I've missed it please excuse me, first time in this part of the site.

2. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    Original studio version? Standard notation OK?

3. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    Yes please to both.

4. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    The song is in A minor, and most of the notes are A. The chords on top of these A notes makes it interesting. The key for the bass line is the rhythm, especially the &a notes of beat 2. The a of beat 2 often ties into beat 3. In the first three bars of the chorus (e.g., measures 31 through 33), the & of beat 4 anticipates the 1 of the next measure. I particularly like the chords in the second four measures of the chorus (A7 Ao7/B-7b5 A, e.g., measures 35 and 36). Think of the A7 tritone (high C# over G), which descends in half steps to the Ao7 and B-7b5). The bass doesn't play the tritones, but it would be tempting. Measure 60 features that classic chromatic approach to an A10 double stop. At first I thought the notes in measures 69-71 were quarter note triplets, but the subdivision is 16th notes. As always, I welcome feedback, especially on the rhythms and chords.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    GManfromOz, JimK and ChrisDev like this.
  5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Nice job & commentary!

LeeNunn likes this.
  6. HandsFree

HandsFree

Dec 23, 2015
    Didn't check everything, but it looks pretty accurate. Well done.
    That 3/8 bar seems correct, but it sounds like a cut/paste error in the recording to me. I'm sure it was meant to sound like the similar bars 71 and 72.

If someone wanted to play this with a band, I'd change it to 4/4 + 2/4 (like bars 71 and 72).

LeeNunn likes this.
  7. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Joan Armatrading sure has a great songbook.
    Love and Affection is a superb piece.

8. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    That's awesome, thanks. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you with the appropriate gratitude, I've been off the instrument for a bit.