1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show Us Your Rob Allen Basses Part IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 4, 2013.

1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Pasting an unanswered question from the last substantive post of the part 3:

3. Koa meets Walnut. I love my MB-2

null_zpsa8d359e7.

walking Bass, Booty Shaman and pudge like this.
  4. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Could be, but each of the 3 RAs I currently own or have owned, the neck has been done to my specs and requests. I find Rob more than accomodating if what you want is reasonable.

5. morebassbaby

morebassbaby Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Illinois
    Oh man, I'm in! I love Mice.

6. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Sam asks:

"Not sure if I mentioned this before. Have you guys ever had buzzing issues with the piezo in areas with questionable wiring? Brought my 6 string to my guitarist's house yesterday for a change of pace and it buzzed like crazy, although the magnetic pickups did not."

Usually the piezo's are dead quiet. Wondering if your Pre is acting up?

7. Played my RA Mouse at a Variety Concert last weekend - MAN that thing is versatile. From thumpy rock to melodic fretless to swinging jazz lines. And it's sooo responsive to touch - thumb downstrokes for fat tone, fingertip with a bit of nail for bite/solo lines, 'hook' for URB vibe.

Its also sounds great with a pick and a bit of OD in a 50/60's rock context - a bit like Hofner Beatles bass (hollowbody) but with more whump.

8. It doesn't at my house. Just at my guitarist's house.

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Gigged my Deep 4 fretless recently at a winery and it sounded sweet! Loving the black nylon tapewounds for the upright vibe. Recorded my guitarist's original tribute to Jan Hammer called "Nebula," this time direct through a REDDI into a Zoom H6. First time I recorded everything direct - bass, lead guitar, guitar/drum loop. Thanks to nostatic for recommending the H6.

10. Anyone wants to sell their RA MB-2 (5 string) or Deep 5 - 34 scale?

11. Played my RA Mouse thru a Monique, into Baer ML112 cab today.

O....M....G....!!!

Such a nice tone, very responsive to playing style.

12. tedw

tedw Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I just picked up an early production Monique. Jule is in the process of updating it. Can't wait to try it with my Rob Allens...

13. tedw

tedw Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
  14. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
  15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Yup. I think the ML112 is about the best cab you could run with a RA.

16. I thought it sounded great with the RA-Thunderfunk-Baer rig, but the RA-Monique-Baer rig took it to another level. :D

17. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    For me, it's the Phil Jones Bass Double Four with my Deep. Can't beat it.

18. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I'm talking to Rob right now about a potential order within the next couple of months. He's just a great guy to deal with.

19. What will you order?

20. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I just got a job after being out of work for a very long time. At this point I'm waiting to see where I land within my classification and that will affect my pay grade. So that's going to have a lot to do with the exact options I order. I don't want to totally break the bank. But the base model will probably be a Mouse 30-5 fretless. I like the Mouse and I also like the idea of a high C string on it. I'm not totally decided on a top wood - maybe walnut, maybe koa, or maybe redwood, if he has some nice stuff in stock, which he usually does. I'm going with an extended fingerboard / thumbrest mostly because I think it looks really cool. If I save enough ducats I might also order an f-hole, again mostly because it looks cool.