Sibling Rivalry

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cheerchick_08, Nov 29, 2005.

1. cheerchick_08

Nov 29, 2005
    as far i can remember i have always heard about fights between sisters or rather siblings.. well with me and my sister it is so different. theres a 2 year difference between us.... and i am the one that gets abused by her i am the one that she comes after when she is mad at everybody else..i dunno what else to do...i try to defend myself but i always get it worse.. i also get told that she wants to kill first i thought o she don't mean nothing by it but its gotten worse and i am beginning to think that she could... i need help anyone who has a comment about this just leave a comment :help:
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The thread title reminded me of some guys I run into every year at the Bloomsburg 4X4 jamboree.
  3. Me and my 21 yr old brother have an intense rivalry as well. One day (about a month ago, actually) my brother started giving me crap, so I started agitating him on purpose, to get his rage to build and blow up (he's got an anger management problem, ya see) and then he tried to get really violent with me. I mean, not pushing and shoving, he wanted to throw down dukes. Basically I told him if he even tried doing that I'd be more than happy to call the cops and put his ass in jail.

He hasn't even tried starting anything with me since.

Of course, I cut out a ton of details, but thats the short version.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you provoke it, putting him in jail would be a dumbass move on your part.

5. It's a long, long story that I'm not even going to fully go into here. I provoked him because I finally felt like standing up for myself instead of putting up with abuse.
  6. Me and my brother toy fight all the time, but, im 20 in 2 weeks and he's 13, so i dont really do any damage, just literally throw him about and such, however, a couple days ago, he got the best of me, he jumped on my back and caught me unaware, next thing i remember was being face down on the floor and my mum at the door asking what happened, to which my brother replied "I just squeezed his neck and he fell down" . . . great! now sporting a scape on my head and nose :scowl:
  7. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Did part of this thread get deleted? I posted on it earlier and said some things about my past experiences with my sister...hopefully I wasn't the cause of any deletions. Of course, it could have been that "punch her in the b_ _" comment.
  8. :p :D Man, my reply was the most thoughtful and sensitive of the thread, I mean really!
  9. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I have to admit, I laughed my AO. I haven't heard the word "box" used that way in a long time.
  10. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    PM with details??? :eyebrow:
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My step-brother hates me for the following reasons:

His mom loves me because I clean up after herself... She can pretty much follow him all day long and constantly pick up after him

I do the dishes just because I see they need to be done

I don't take longer to get ready to go than she does

I don't piss my money away and then hit her up for money for bills

I didn't make her take out a $5k loan to go to CSU Long Beach. And fail, more or less.

I don't like creed.

I rock harder than he does

My band actually records... He gets red in the face when I show her our new songs :p

Basically, he hates me because I'm a rock `n roll bad ass with good grades whos parents are completely happy with him.

He is a 20 year old bum that just got kicked out, watches star trek, thinks he can sing, and wants to marry scott stapp. Mainly because he can't find a woman willing to wipe his butt for him.
  12. mmg

Nov 7, 2005
    Boston, MA
    my brother and i were in unanimous hate for each other through out our lives. i found that it was mostly him feeling threatened by me since I was two years younger but shared many of the same interests and many of the same friends. he used to do stuff like ditch me at after school to go play frisbee or go to a concert we were both invited to, or he would bad mouth me to mutual friends.

not to sound too condescending but we never really physically fought, we have always had a really mature attitudes to our hatred and our parents brought us up in an environment that assosciates violence with proletariat troglodytes.

now, to move on to our current relationship. it has improved exponentially since he moved out for college, just not having to live with someone and deal with them on a daily basis reduces the amount of friction. it also helps that im on lithium these days and most things don't upset me since im no longer as depressed.

also, advice on improving your relationship with siblings. do your own thing, don't idolise them, or atleast don't show it, don't act condescending to their failures, don't rub it in. friction is what causes hatred, don't add to it, they probably feel ****ty enough about failures. that last one wasn't from personal experience, though it is good advice from a friend. from personal experience, don't constantly compare yourself to them, you are very different people. the negligable genetic similiarities relative to your similiarities to the general population is hardly enough to constitute strong comparison.

just my .02
  13. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    What's wrong with watching Star Trek?
  14. I didnt know i had a step brother, hi there hows it goin! ;)
  15. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I honestly thought that no truer words were ever typed into this delightful beige box to be shared with the world :bassist:
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Heh, sounds like you're spending as much time "managing" his anger as he is.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now, is his mom your psycho mom or a different mom? Why don't just kick-flip to indie grind on him, then stab him with your you-know-what?
  18. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Bro and I had serious rivalry for a while, but I've got a bookish, nerd type for a bro.

He and I used to fight constantly.

The answer?

Move away.

You'd be surprised how much separation tends to heal those little wounds. When I visit now, I can feel how much he misses just having me around.

It makes me kinda warm inside. Like .... bass.