1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sick And Can't Practice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ineedahobbie, May 23, 2011.

1. Ineedahobbie

Ineedahobbie

Jul 22, 2010
    Saw another thread similar to this, just curious if anyone is having the same experience.

I'm pretty sick with an awful cough and a high fever. I'm not completely bedridden, but I don't do allot of moving. I managed to do an hour or so of practice today, but it was definitely tough to make it through! My hands just feel sore and my playing just doesn't sound great. I don't feel very coordinated. I usually practice 1-2.5 hours a day. I'm starting to think practicing while i'm this sick is simply a waste of time.

Anyone else have this happen to them? Any tips/comments?

p.s. While missing school is nice ;), I'm trying to get better ASAP, my high school orchestra/jazz band is leaving on tour to Mexico this Thursday! :smug:

2. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    I hate practicing while sick and usually just avoid it. One of the ways I tell I'm getting sick whether its a cold or some day long illness is that I can't hear pitches accurately. So if it is only a day or two I just spend the time I would have been practicing napping. Of course I am not usually sick for more than 2 days so I don't loose too much time.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Get your general health together and don't worry about the bass. I just took a 12 day layoff because of a vacation followed by a stomach virus at the end of it. I didn't play until the 13th day when I went to my gig, and although I didn't have the full arsenal at my disposal for the first couple of sets, everything turned out just fine.

OTOH, if there are specific charts/arrangements that you will be performing on your tour, you could always practice them mentally without the bass if you have the energy. I often find this very useful and not time wasted. Good luck.

4. mdwallace

mdwallace

Apr 1, 2010
    New York City
    A few days off to rest isn't the end of the world for your playing :) Get better!