sick string footage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by creativitis, Aug 4, 2009.

1. creativitis

creativitis

Apr 17, 2009
    HD video camera + the incredible waveforms of bass string action = a video you will repost many times. :cool:

http://vimeo.com/4041788

yes, probably suited for the DB forums, but i'm sure any bassist can appreciate the beauty of the low-end captured in such a brilliant visual. enjoy! :bassist:

-C

2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

That was fascinating. Of course what we were seeing were the higher harmonics floating on the string. NICE! I'd really like to see this with an electric bass now.

3. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    very cool

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I'd like to see this with a bowed string

5. Jordan M

Jordan M

May 10, 2009
    No, you were seeing an effect called "Rolling shutter distortion". What it is: A camera shutter moves vertically, exposing only a small part of the image onto the recording medium (film, digital sensor) at one time. As it moves down, the string moves sideways, causing the appearance of a diagonal line, even though the string really is quite straight.

Here's a better explanation of the phenomenon:
    http://dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/

6. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Plek did some high-speed videos of strings vibrating to design their machines. This gif is from one of them. The effect is very similar, so I think that the rolling shutter distortion is not the full story.

Strobe_web_small.gif

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021