Sight reading

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Best book for teaching oneself to read dots? (Without playing Michael Row the Boat Ashore, as I've been playing for 20 years and aren't that bad, just always relied on ear).
  2. I've benn using this book with my teacher for the past 4 months or so. it is an excellent book. it starts off very basic using whole notes or half notes then gets more complicted as it goes on. very good choice of book to learn from.
  3. Are you talking about reading notes or rythms?
    As far as reading notes go,use anything that uses a wide range of notes.
    As far as reading rythms,"Modern Reading Text In 4/4"by Louis Bellson,is an indespensible book.He also wrote "Odd Time Reading Text"when you want to work outside of 4/4.
  4. Ideal, thank you very much.
  5. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I highly suggest this book myself. After you've spent some time with it, and have a basic understanding of the things, there are some great books you can get to further your sight reading abilities.

For songs, I suggest finding a "Real Book" in bass clef. Should be about $40, but well worth it.

For etudes and basic drills, there are a couple of different and great books to really help you along. Rufus Reid's "Evolving Bassist", Simandl's method 1, or "Arban's Conservatory for Trombone."
  7. td1368

Jan 9, 2001

When I first took lessons 15 years ago my instructer made me get this book and I' m still working on it. Ugggh now that I read that maybe I need to work on it a little harder.
  8. Well, I have the bass-clef Real Book, and I've never used it… It contains exactly the same tunes as the Real Book (Vol. I), but in F-clef rather than G-clef. I bought it naively thinking that it might have ideas for bass lines in it :rolleyes: . If you really want one (F-clef), but can't find a copy (the 5th ed. Real Book I G-Clef version is becoming very scarce), drop me a line and I'll sell you mine. I read all clefs, and it's much easier to use the G-clef version and move things up or down and octave (or two), in your head. If you don't already have any RBs, for $25 you can get the latest (6th) edition from Hal Leonard - which is essentially the same as the 5th edition, with slight changes, and is in the G-clef (which is much more useful† than the F-clef version, as it can be shared with other musicians who might not read the F-clef… )

- Wil

† Just my opinion
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Really? I use it like crazy!
  10. I thought I would, but honestly I don't think I've opened it more than once after I realised it was just an octave transcription of the 5th edition. My G-clef 5th edition is literally in pieces, and my RBs II and III are heading that way!

Also reading the G-clef is very good practice for playing at correct pitch in the thumb-position.

- Wil
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I agree. I wouldn't have any use for an F clef Real Book either. I just transpose the treble melodies into bass range. And as you say, a G clef book is more useful if you want to copy a chart and hand it to another musician--say,a pianist or guitarist--to play. I've met a couple of sax players who could transpose more or less at sight from G clef, but none who were comfortable doing that from bass clef.