1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sightsinging - another tool to improve your bass playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Dec 14, 2017.

1. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    image. image. image.

I am impressed with people who can sightsing.

It's like sight reading on your bass but with your voice. I believe it helps with your musicality, therefore your bass playing. You may never have any intention to sing in public or with your band. Learning to sightsing opens up another musical part of your brain.

Picked up this Musicians Institute book and am enjoying going through it. It starts at the very beginning so even if you can't read a note with your bass this will teach you all you need to know to sightsing (and read music). 158 pages. The book was $7 used on ebay with free shipping :)

2. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    I feel sight singing is especially valuable for fretless and upright players. If you can hear the pitch of the note in your head before you play it, you can more quickly react to any intonation issues.