Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Silicon Valley teacher recommendation?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Funkateer, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I'm looking for a good jazz-oriented teacher in Silicon Valley. Any recommendations? I am particularly interested in someone who has solid studio player skills. I.e quick ears, good reader, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Hey man,

I used to take lessons from Joey Fabian, who taught out of Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto.

Joey was very nice and very knowledgeable; quite the rockin' jazz cat who has studied with Kai Eckhardt.

He currently plays with several bands, including the Barton Tyler Group, whose site is http://www.bartrontylergroup.com/.

Joey's personal site, which contains his email address, is:
    http://mywebpage.netscape.com/josephcfabian/index.html

Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to give me a holler.
    Cheers,
    Jeb

3. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Hey man,

Here's another possibility. The stuff below is taken from the teacher's Craigslist posting:

Are you a fan of jazz bass legends Ray Brown and Charlie Haden? Study with one of the few people to study with them both.

Jazz Acoustic Bass Lessons
    * An imaginative and spiritual approach to playing -- put your entire self into
    everything you play
    * Individualized Programs of Study
    * Express yourself fully; make every note count and develop a beautiful sound
    * Start from the big picture and add what matters.
    * I travel to you.

Mandy Flowers 650-616-9408 flowers_mandy@hotmail.com
    BA Berklee College of Music, Boston
    Private studies with Charlie Haden (2 years)
    Private studies with bass grandmaster Ray Brown (7 years)

Beginner to professional ok, adults preferred, limited enrollment. Lessons are
    1 1/4 hours long and usually every other week.
    Electric bass jazz students ok too.

www.mandyflowers.com