simple overdub recorder

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by wrench45us, Apr 20, 2014.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I have a full blown DAW on an XP system and I could upgrade to a Win7 system and finally pickup a Focusrite in/out module, rather than continue with the original laptop Indigo card I mounted in the XP box.

BUT what I think I realy want is some simple standalone digital recorder with overdub

I don't esp need condenser mics and I'd prefer to DI in and be able to monitor

maybe as simple as the latest guitar/bass trainer
    or Tascam or Zoom

I just want to lay down an electric piano track and practice against it (and record) bass over that ansd maybe a few other instruments as well.

and eventually pull that file into the DAW

experience
    recommendations

2. I purchased a Tascam DR-40 recently and am extremely impressed with it:

http://tascam.com/product/dr-40/

It can record up to four tracks via the two built in mics plus two XLR inputs on the bottom, it also has overdub capability. Amazon is selling them for $165 atm.

I've mainly been using it for recording the band, results have been good so far. The built in mics are amazing.

3. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    On amazon there's a question about overdubbing and the answer states it's only possible to overdub using the built- in mics. Is that false I your experience?

4. Checkout the TC Electronics "Ditto" looper.

5. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    Ditto looks like what I'm looking for. Thanks

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021