simple recording programs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by funktastic, Apr 15, 2005.

1. funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    does anyone here know where i can find a generally simple recording program? Basically what im looking for is just something that i can plug my bass/guitar into and play my tracks onto the computer and add drum beats to. im not looking for something very nice or expensive, but just something that sounds decent and easy for my highschool brain to comprehend. thanks
  2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    If you have a mac, I say use GarageBand. Best thing to happen to High School/college dorm room musicians EVER. lol

If you're on PC, I think Mackie makes a program that's pretty similar to GB. Not sure about cost, but I think it's under $150.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Yes, Garageband is ******* awesome.

The mackie program you are referring to is called Tracktion, it's mac and PC compatible, and although I've never used it, it LOOKS to be the closest thing to GB available to windows. I believe it's $70 or $80
  4. jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I think there was a free download of tracktion available on their website at one time.
  5. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Cakewalk GuitarTracks Pro (version 3). Dead simple, intuitive, no midi, comes with some pretty decent drum samples for looping. Drag and drop drum programming with the loops/sample - even create your own as .wav files and import them in.

If yer a geetar player, CWGTP 3 comes with the Amplitude guitar amp modelling VST plug in. IMO, not bad at all - does a passable Fender/Gibson vintage tone and an OK Marshall/Mesa tone. You could probably tweak it for some additional bass-appropriate tones. Lots of post-processing plug-in effects as well.

You won't be disappointed. I think I paid about $150 retail for the package.

I've had the opportunity to use Soungforge, Cakewalk Pro, tracktion, Protools Free, n-track and few other freeware, shareware, evaluation dealies and I keep coming back to CWGTP3.

6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
  7. As I just posted below this thread, Mackie's new Tracktion v2 demo is available for download. Give it a look.