1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Simplest setup with ParaDI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Somavar, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Somavar

Somavar

May 8, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have been using a Sansamp ParaDI plugged into the Amp In input of my Behringer BX1200 and getting a pretty fine sound for our blues band pub gigs. However the screaming GAS has set in and I'm looking to get something lighter than the BX1200. I have tried plugging the Para DI straight into the PA(lightest of all options) but I can't hear myself clearly. Ideally Tech21(or someone) would develop a 250-300W light simple poweramp and speaker combo for those of us who are happy with the sound from the ParaDI and don't want any extra colour. Thinking of a TC BG250 combo as it's just 16kgs and €400 so within budget. Does anyone have any alternatives which would give the same weight and price advantages but would allow the Para DI keep it's place?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

PM TBer Nostatic. He is using some cool little micro power amp driven by a preamp. Don't know what the brand is, but it is very small.

Edit: It is the Demeter Mini 800d. Probably over your budget (power amp is about $1000), but it is very small, very light (3.5 pounds) and very powerful.

SWR makes a small class D power amp also (amplite) that is much less powerful, and less expensive (edit: looks like SWR is mostly shut down and off the market).

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm not sure, but you might be able to make this work with one of GK's new self powered extension cabs.

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Unfortunately GK's powered extension cabs only work with compatible GK gear. Great idea though.

5. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    I' running mine into a Crown XLS1000, and getting great sounds.

6. Somavar

Somavar

May 8, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks for the suggestions so far,

Hadn't thought of using a PA amp and speaker(I think the crown XLS1000 is a PA amp). It would work out a bit more expensive by the time I add the speaker?? But could give a better sound?

7. Somavar

Somavar

May 8, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Would a powered PA speaker suffice on it's own? Thinking an Alto 15in truesonic (light and in budget) or something similar. Anyone have an experience of this?

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Better sound?
    For me, no.

PA speakers and monitors are too pure for me.
    Look at AudioKinesis TC cabs, and fEARFul cabs as examples of this.
    Or, Meyer if you really want a real PA speaker.

I want my bass guitar speaker to sound like a bass guitar speaker; and break up a little around the edges when pushed. Look at GK Neo series and Baer as examples of this.

You might really like "pure/sterile" stuff. Lotsa folks do.
    better is in your personal ears, and up to you to determine.

I have used Bose sticks/subs with my double bass and liked that; I did not like them for electric bass.

9. Somavar

Somavar

May 8, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    I was thinking the Para DI could provide the colour and the speaker would be 'purely' a transmission device to move the air in the room :) Not sure if it would work in practice might be too sterile like you say.

10. Somavar

Somavar

May 8, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    As it's for a blues band I think I would be badly out of place with sterile sound;)

11. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I use a paradriver on pretty much every bass guitar gig I do these days. I've used it into my thunderfunk/Epi rig, my GK combo amp, into my Crown MA 2402 amp into various cabs and also into numerous powered monitor wedges. Monitor wedges almost always are heavy on the high end and light on the low end. I always find myself wishing I could attenuate the tweeter some (not always an option) as they usually accentuate the overdrive of the paradriver. I could always tweak the pedal some to fit the monitor, but I know the sound I have dialed in works for FOH so I just deal with it.

Honestly from what you are saying, I would recommend a fly weight combo over a powered speaker. The GK mb series is decent tone vs price (if you avoid the uber flabby mb210). Using a PA speaker would work, but by then, unless you are going for a fly weight monitor wedge which as I've mentioned I've had meh results with, you are usually hauling more speaker than you need. I'd recommend giving the mb115 combo a shot. I can get by with just that in a moderately loud americana act. It evens handles FOH for small venues. I'd imagine with a powered extension cab, it would be a decent portable setup.

note: the mb series combos aren't the most robust. They sacrifice sturdiness for weight. I would not throw these things into a trailer for tour work.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, but I wouldn't blame you for wanting something better than what you've got. Maybe just a better combo amp, if it's just being used as a personal monitor(?) A poweramp plus bass cab would also do, but you can use the Paradriver with a normal bass head, too.

13. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Agree with Chef - PA subs and monitors are too sterile . . . and although I have a very heavy big rig, I've recently gone to a 37 pound GK combo amp, 500 watts, 2x12 inch neo speakers, which by itself, does sound good. Not satisfied, I added an Eden WTDI pedal . . . it makes that GK sound a thousand percent better. That pedal is highly recommended- by me!

14. Somavar

Somavar

May 8, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    From what I've heard so far I think I'll go with the tc bg250 combo as a good price and weight mix. Couldn't think why the PA speaker wouldn't work but it sounds like it isn't focused on delivering the low end as for the most part they are used to deliver vocals. Thanks to all for the inputs. :)

15. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Some of the Sansamp gear has speaker emulation built in, or so we are told. Not sure about the ParaDI.

If so, the the sterile PA-style speakers might be ok. I run Sansamp(s) through a Crown XLS1500 to a Mesa Boogie PH 2x12, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    but that's not "sterile PA" at all!

it's a straight-up power amp, yes, but into actual bass guitar cabs (and the perfect thing for the OP to run his para driver into).

i run my BDDI into a power amp pushing two LDS 15 bass cabs, and it's grindy rock all the way, nothing "sterile" or hi-fi about it.

17. How hard is it to hit the return key when you change tack?

At 400E your new gear options are limited You could build yourself a cab and get a used power amp.