Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sims alternative

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NOLA Bass, Mar 9, 2005.

1. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I've got a real problem seeing the side dot markers on my two Spectors. I've tried reflective vinyl stickers, but they come off quickly as I play up and down the neck (especially on my older one, the curve of the neck I guess). I know Sims LED's are awesome, but they cost a fortune. Anyone know of some good alternatives?

2. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Have you tried putting some kind of clear laminate over the reflective stickers your trying?
    They make very clear, very sticky tape that might hold down your pieces better.

3. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Thanks Quality, I'll give that a try!

4. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I spent a good deal of time playing in dark bars wearing shades (part of the "costume") and had the sam problem.

I took WhiteOut and painted big side markers on the edge of the fretboard. This worked great and it was easily removable when I wanted it gone.
    Of course I had dark fingerboards like rosewood and ebony.

5. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    Tritium paint, as used in nightsights on handguns, it glows in the dark, and highly resistant to fade, chipping, peeling, etc.

6. Even better try this it works for me! take a few of those white squares that come with vcr tapes you know the stickers they have. put them on over the dots. and check this out set up a black light behind you like hang it from your rig. and you will be suprised how much that will work. they glow like crazzzzyyy.

7. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I found one interesting company online with some different solutions to the problem. It is at www.fretlord.com. I'm going to do a little more searching, but the tritium paint sounds interesting.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You soooooo copied my avatar. I demand you chage it! :D (in jest)

Ray

9. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Actually, night sights on firearms are not "paint", they are a form of radioactive material inside a small vial inserted into the sights.