1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

singers negative lyrics a problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bluestarbass, Aug 20, 2007.

1. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Figured I'd rant and see what your guys opinions are. Im playing the dreaded guitar in a band again. I know i dont like it either, it just happened this way. Anyway after a few monthes of woodshedding were finally getting a set together. I hadnt really been paying attention to our singers lyrics. Hes kinda a vetran of the local scene and has a proven track record. He left me alone so I wasnt going to make any suggestions about his song writing.

The other day I started listening to his lyrics and they are sometimes kinda negative. This is a punk band, and he basically talks S%&T about other bands. Mostly famous bands but it doesnt make it any less wrong. Theres nothing I hate more than talking badly about someone else behind their back. I truely beleive music is an artform, and different stuff will appeal to different people.

I asked him nicely not to do that but he kinda said, lyrics are my job guitar is your job kinda thing. How I do this more forcefully. I really like playing in the band, and the guys are really cool but im not happy about the situation

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I don't agree with this at all.
    If he didn't like the way your lines sounded he would surely tell you so.
    Now, he doesn't have to endorse your bass playing. Lyrics on the other hand carry the image of the whole band and must be endorsed by everyone. For example if he was singing racist stuff you'd all be considered racists.

3. tell him that your not gonna sing them. like the post above mine says, his words will reflect on the whole band, but even more so, on you. at a show, nobody will know that his words are his and not yours, and will take everything you sing to be coming from you. tell him that you dont want to be portrayed as the arrogant dick that he is.

4. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I think that as a general rule, a singer's lyrics are his/her deal. It's much more personal (for a good artist) than a bass line or guitar riff. So, when I was the singer of a band, I got really offended and hurt when my bandmates challenged my lyrics. However, being a little older now, I think that it's a singer's job to make the decision on fight or flee. If you really have a problem with his lyrics, confront it and prepare to lose him.

Okay, so that was general. Specific to this situation...I'm with you. No reason to be a jerk and diss other bands. That kind of hate is just ridiculous and as hate and aggression are much more contagious than peace and love, you gotta stay away from that junk. :)

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    When the band as a whole takes on personal identities, and singular tasks within the architecture of a group, you are on your way to implosion.

If the band does not decide on everything about the music as a band, it will never last, as there is too much ego bias for each part of the song.

Everyone has their strengths in a band, but the other members need to be able to have input about any part. This is how bands last.