1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Singing and Playing, Singing blows...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by santucci218, Oct 5, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I can play, and i can sing! When i have the song on, i can sing and play great! when i turn the song off, my singing is out of key...Besides playing with the song 10,000 times, what else can i do? Nothing is seeming to work!

2. perplexicon

perplexicon

Sep 30, 2008
    Hey, I know this sounds boring: Practice your scales. I'm confident the best work you can do pitch-wise is to A.) Make sure your beginning pitch is as accurate as it can be. Don't give yourself any leeway with your starting pitch. And, B.) As you move up a scale slowly, listen for any interval that sounds just a little off. If for some reason it all sounds okay, then you need to sing with a constant tone (like a piano). If you do this slowly and with constant attention as to your relative pitch (that you made sure is accurate every time), then your singing should progress well. Also, scales are a great part of daily practice routine, which I'm sure you've heard a million times and which is just that true.

3. dwanetom

dwanetom

Aug 20, 2008
    It may be that you're not "hearing" the song in your head when you sing by yourself. This may seem strange to you, but the concept is that you have to hear the pitch in your head first before you can sing it in tune. Many who try sing first THEN find the pitch, but you HAVE to hear the pitch first in your head. Play a note on your instrument, stop the note but retain the pitch in your head, then try to sing it. Once you get the concept of hearing before singing you won't have to think about it and you'll be able to sing in tune better.

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Man, its 5:35 AM but as soon as its a decent hour to play and sing loudly ill try that! I honestly think that may be my problem!