1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single 15 Cab Enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 9, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am seriously considering buying a combo with a 15" driver. The MarkBass mini cmd 151p. But I am concerned that it will be loud enough for a medium sized venue without pa support.

My band isnt extremely loud, but earplugs are definitely required.

Portability is my primary concern, so if I have to add an extension cab it would becomes less attractive to me.

Here are the specs of the one I am considering:

SPEAKER
    1x15"
    TWEETER
    piezo
    BASS REFLEX
    rear
    IMPEDANCE
    8 ohms
    SPEAKER POWER HANDLING
    400W RMS (AES Standard)
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE
    40 Hz to 18 kHz
    CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
    3.5 kHz
    SENSITIVITY
    100 dB SPL
    WEIGHT
    40.79 lbs / 18.5 kg
    HEIGHT
    18.27 in. / 46.4 cm
    WIDTH
    18.27 in. / 46.4 cm
    DEPTH
    18.9 in. / 48 cm

One possibility is to replace the stock 8 ohm driver with one that is 4 ohm to utilize all 450w. Maybe the KappaLight Pro?

This combo looks very promising to me... just gotta know that it can handle my volume requirements.

So who routinely plays with a single 15 cab with great results?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think a 115 should be pretty good for alot of situations especially if your just using it for your own monitoring. and the 400w is good too.

3. will probably jump on the bandwagon to tell you that it's not enough. I will, however, tell you that it depends on the speaker and your combo. I own, and will NOT sell, a Peavey Combo 300 with one 15" Black Widow driver...and it is the BOMB. The speaker is phenomenal, quick, with great frequency response, and it is the brightest and clearest speaker I own....that includes my EA boxes. The combo 300 puts 225 watts into the 15" speaker by itself. If I (for outside stuff) hook up an extension cab, I can get 300 watts.

I will say, however, that I have had NO problems playing with that combo alone in all types of venues...and it never fails to cut through. Part of that could also be due to the very flexible EQ section of the Peavey - but if your combo is flexible and powers a clear, good quality driver, you shouldn't have a problem.

Jay

4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    every room sounds different....but in general a 1x15 by itslef never worked for me with a full electric band....

5. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I played the Mark Bass SA 450 and standard 151HF today, and that cab was pretty tight and plenty loud. But also a full size cab. If the MarkBass Standard 151HR is as loud as the HF, I think it will be more than enough volume for most gigs.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I use a single fifteen (SWR) powered by a Little Mark head. I play with a loud drummer. I have more than enough power and speaker for all of my gigging needs.

7. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    I have played many gigs with a single 15 even though I had 4 at my disposal. I never felt like it wasn't enough. Drummer kept wanting me to turn down the volume several times. I would nod and go over to my amp and pretend to turn down - but never did.

8. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    +1
    Especially if you don't have PA support.

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The problem is that most 15s don't have much bite so they don't cut ... I use 15's when I want to fill in some soft/warm/slow bass so I can feel it more than hear it. If you want to hear what you're playing ... get some 10s to go with it.

Instead of messing with a 4 ohm speaker, leave it 8 ohm and save up for an 8 ohm 2x10 to add to it.

10. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    +1.

I agree. a 2x10 would be a good addition. I use a SWR Son of Bertha 1x15 with an SWR SM400s on a lot of gigs and have no problem what so ever with volume and when I feel like I need a bit more volume and punch, I top it off with my 2x10Goliath III jr.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I could use a nice sounding one for smaller gigs.

Go for it.

If it's not loud enough, buy another. :D

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'll summon Eli who has been gigging with a single Sonic MicroMini 1x15 for about 15 years in all sorts of bands...

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Veganbass --

My 115 is a 500W 8ohm, driven by an amp rated 500W into 8 ohms (Carvin R600 bridged mono). Even in its teeny cab, I've never had a problem competing with even two 100W guitar amps. Interesting though what pickles said about a 115 being unable to bite.. . that is a possibility, but I personally do not like lots of highs so I wouldn't know -- I usually roll off everything above 3k or so anyway. Since the cab you're considering has a tweeter, this shouldn't be an issue.

Qualifier: I haven't ever played in a screaming, let's-pin-em-to-the-back-wall metal kind of a band... though I have gone to considerable volume in fair-sized rooms. Doesn't sound like that's your band either, though.

The spec you left out of your initial post:
    AMP OUTPUT POWER
    450W @ 4 ohm / 280W @ 8 ohm
    This is going to be the issue: the amp is rated 4ohms to allow adding another 8ohm extension cab, which you said would be a deal-breaker.

So IMHO you were astute to consider changing out the 15 for a 4ohm. Perhaps BillyB can comment about the crossover's capability? Is this an issue?

HTH...

14. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i used a markbass LM II and a 151p which is basically the modular version of the rig you are talking about and it handled most gigs fine, apart from one where things gota bit much for it and it just dissapeared in the mix, but putting a 4 ohm speaker in would probably resolve that problem

Dave

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for the info guys.Looks like that markbass combo is a little out of my price range at $1300cdn.

So now I am considering the Flite 115(M). Its a 15 with a 5"midrange speaker. Apparently they sound great with a Kappa Pro LF which I just bought from Marcus Willet. Might also try the KappaLight 3015 neo in there at some point.

Seems that some think a 15 will work, others dont. My band is pretty much a 3 piece these days and I cant see myself moving from that format anytime soon. We play rock with a "rock and roll" drummer so while earplugs are required its not insanely loud, probably average band volume.

I'd be pairing this cab with my 600w Focus SA and PJB Bass Buddy pre.

I dont go for alot of highs in my tone, but cutting thru is essential. So that does concern me a little. I am not into rumble with no mids.

Eli

Can you tell me a bit about your Sonic Micromini cab? Where did you get it? How much did it cost? Weight /dimensions?

thanks!

16. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I'll send cab dim's/wt later this evening. Sadly though, you have to find one second-hand -- Sonic (while still in business -- see www.sonicspeaker.com ) is no longer making them.

But again, the power from the amp may be an issue: what's the Focus SA rated? If it's 600W into 4 ohms, it may only be 300W into 8 ohms. The Focus SA Series III that I found on the net was 450W into 8ohms which should be fine... Is that Kappa Pro LF 8ohms or 4 ohms?

17. Looks like it's time to get a new drummer......:D

18. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    what does it matter what cab you get if your gunna replace the speaker

19. I started using just a 15 and depending on the room it was fine, then i joined this forum. I then bought a 210 to go on top. Wow the difference having the 210 and 15 together, then ive gone to a 212 cabinet. There are so many possibilities and different cabs now that you may start out with just a 15inch cab but if you are weak like us forum members you just keep trying out different cabs and get to hear differnent tones within the bass world. The more you read you get GAS, its a lot of fun trying out different speakers and cabs, not to mention basses as well. Try if you can, go to a bass shop and try out different cabs either by themselves or together. I loved just using a 15 inch cab with nice tweeter but when the 210 went on top i couldnt go back. Thats enough of me ranting

20. I gigged with a custom 15inch cab rated at 250W rms in a rock/dance/funk band for many years without any problem. I could always hear myself. I'm now playing in an all rock band, and that same old 15 couldn't even be used as a monitor because I'm now competing with a 200w marshall stack and a hard hitting rock drummer. It really depends on the band, drummer volume, and what you're competing with.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021