1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single Cab Volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chokeslam512, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Most of my rigs that I have had have been 4-ohm-out amp to dual 8-ohm-in cabs. My last rig was an Ashdown Mag600 into an Ashdown ABM414T (4 ohm, 575 W into 4 ohm 600 W). I simply could not get any volume out of it. I am now considering getting an SWR Triad to complement my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. I am a little worried that I will not get the volume that I seek and that I will potentially damage the speakers If I try.

I will be in unison with a Mesa Dual Rectumfier and matching Mesa 412. I suppose I do not have to use it for practice and only use it for studio and live gigs where I will be plugged in direct.

Any thoughts? I know the volume issue comes up a lot but I was wondering if anyone has used a Triad under a GB 6.0.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I suggest that you try the speaker with your bass in an environment that is typical to how you plan on using it. Everybody has opinions, this will be more valuable to you in the long run.

Regarding volume issues, this is almost always due to not enough speaker for the job, unrealistic expectations (ie. a single 10" or 12" cabinet carrying a rock gig w/out PA support) or a very inefficient cabinet. Be sure you have a scenario that will be properly handled by the speaker you choose regardless of the brand.

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I say this pretty much every time it comes up, but volume/weight/size/cost-wise, you're
    not going to find a better single cab solution than a Kl3015LF with a quality midrange in an appropriately sized enclosure. By the numbers, one of these will out-loud a commercial 6x10 and weigh half as much.

Having owned a triad, it is not a terribly loud cab, and both speakers are prone to blowing (mine came with a car audio speaker in the 10" slot :p).