1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Single Coil For Reggae ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassgrooves2, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Whats up TBers?!

I have picked up some fun Reggae chops recently for the Summer gigging extravaganza and was wondering what type of single coils some of you may be using for Reggae/Dub Bass type stuff.

I have a Carvin B5 Bolt Neck bass that has the standard Carvin J99 set in it that to my ear sounds very thin and sterile. I also am having some intermittent issue with the electronic control board so I am thinking of getting all new electronics for this otherwise stellar bass guitar.

I was toying with the idea of EMG J Set, but I don't know if thats what would be best for this type of sound. I typically use my old P Bass for Reggae, but Im getting into the Low B String with one of the groups im playing with. I dont really use the Five string for much other than that so I figured as long as Im going to have to replace electronics, I might as well make it better suited for its use.

Also both pickups in the Carvin are the same dimensions at
    3.72" long x .72" wide x .80" high
    so I would love to find some 5 String pups that fit these dimensions already. I know the EMG Jset will fit without body routing, not sure of others.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Not really a fan of EMG as the ones I've played with seemed kinda sterile. Quiet, but not life like... I would think in terms oe replacing the preamp first, then the pickups if that proves necessary. Preamp wise I'm a fan of Dave Meadows work at Audere. I have the classic 4band in my Guild fretless 5. Old Sadowsky J pickups in that one. Very nice...

I have had Audere's with the z-mode switch as well. That can add some girth down low. Didn't want to drill the top of this bass though.

3. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Single coil for Reggae?

See the incredible Aston Barrett ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Barrett

His most famous song was played with a "single coil bass" ...

I have played Stir it up with my Maruszczyk Elwood (Jazz Bass).
    Flatwounds on and the world of Reggae is yours ...

The problem might not be the PUs but the strings (if you wanna use roundwounds for other stuff).
    If you need 5 strings and rounds for other stuff: Think about buying a Squier 5 string VM Jazz Bass, put on some flatwounds and you have your Reggae - Motown machine. To my mind that's better than an electronic that imitates flatwounds ...

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    IMO just upgrade to the newer Carvin pups and preamp, they sound very good and are not very expensive.