1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire V3 2nd Gen vs V7 1st Gen

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vgru, Sep 24, 2019.

1. vgru

vgru

Sep 24, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I am about to buy a 5-string Jazz Bass and have mostly decided to go for a Sire bass. I've already borrowed a 1st Gen V7 Alder-5 for a couple of weeks and am really satisfied with the sound and playability.

I am in Europe, however the selection of basses available in my store (and nearby cities) is rather limited, but basically this is a range of basses I am looking at:

[​IMG]

The second bass (V7 1st Gen) is the one I've tested.

My questions are, if anyone would be kind to offer their opinion:

1. How does a 2nd gen V3 compare to a 1st gen V7? The V3 is not available in my town right now so I would have to order it.

2. If I would go in the other, more expensive direction, would a used Fender V Deluxe (active) jazz bass justify its price difference?

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had that exact Fender......bought it brand new around New Years 2014/2015. For my bday 6 months later my wife got me a gen 1 v7 5 string. For me.....the Sire blew the MIM deluxe outta the water and I sold it pretty quickly. The Sire just did everything better.....YMMV. Still have the Sire and it sounds and plays great.

Edit: I have not played a Gen 2 but......the pickups are supposed to be better tonally and the fingerboard has the rolled edges. Not sure what else Sire changed up.

mb94952, vgru and fuzzychaos like this.
  3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I have a V3 5 string and really think it is great . I haven't played a V7 so I can't compare but the V3 is the first bass in a long time that doesn't need any mods . Plays and sounds great stock .

vgru likes this.
  4. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    I’ve had a few Sire V7 Gen 1 basses and now have a V7 Gen 2. Both great sounding basses but the pickups on the Gen 2 are more punchy and growly. Definitely better IMO.

vgru likes this.
  5. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    I’ve also had Sire V7 Vintage Gen 1 and 2. Gen 2 pickups sound better. The V7 and VV7 Gen 2 pickups are slightly different I believe. I prefer the V7.

vgru likes this.
  6. vgru

vgru

Sep 24, 2019
    Thanks everyone!

In the meantime it turned out that there was a shop where they had both V3 and V7 5-stringers, and a 1st Gen V7, so I went there and tested all three of them.

My conclusion was that:
    1. The V3 is a nice bass guitar, with the same preamp but cheaper hardware than the V7 (both bridge and the tuners seemed rather cheap to me, perhaps in practice it wouldn't be an issue). Soundwise, since the preamp is the same, it felt really similar.
    2. It seems that 1st Gen V7 basses had a 7.25" fretboard radius which I personally found uncomfortable to play on a 5-st bass (the Sire V7 list-of-changed-specs page indicates that this is true also), whereas in 2nd gen V7 basses only the "Vintage" series has the 7.25" radius.
    I didn't go to check on the used Fender Deluxe, but the general consensus seems to be that Sires are on par with Fenders, so I'll stick to what I've tested and found to be great.

So the 7.25 -> 9.5" switch was already a rather good reason for me to pick the 2nd gen, and after getting a slight discount I am getting the 2nd Gen Adler-5 Antique White V7 for 580 USD.

For reference, this is the change specs table from the Sire site:

upload_2019-9-26_17-37-36.png

Thanks for your tips! :)

friend33 and lowdownthump like this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Excellent choice .:thumbsup:

vgru likes this.
  8. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I am new to Sire, and I so far love them. I was NEVER a Fender guy. They never spoke to me, kind of like shoes. Nikes never worked for me but Skechers are the bomb.
    Sire is amazing. I have a 1st gen P7 and I can't see how it can get better. Now I want to look at the M7 4 string bass. I have no idea what the differences are. I just read that 2nd gen went to 9.5" radius ? 1st gen on the P7 is 12" radius, which is exact same as my Peavey Cirrus, and my Garz. I LOVE 12" radius.

I am NOT interested in the V series. Just the P and M series.

What am I supposed to look for ? - Mike

9. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Edit : It's been too long for me to edit the above comment. So, it's been a few months now since I bought my first Sire (the P7) and it has been a pleasure ever since. Hands down the BEST "Fender type" bass out there. My edit is to help other newbies to the Sire family and make the correction that the 1st gen P7 has a 7.5" radius, NOT a 12" radius like I thought, and the 2nd gen has a 9.5" radius. Rock on.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 26, 2021