Sire V7 - are they really THAT good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SimonSays, May 24, 2017.

1. SimonSays

SimonSays

Nov 3, 2016
    Hi,

So I'm sure most us bass players have come across thread posts stating how the Marcus Miller Sire range are built/sound/play like something 3 times their price point. Forgive me for doubting just about every Sire owner, but are they really THAT good? Do they really stand up to the American built Fender basses? If not, can anyone pin point where exactly in the scale of things these V7's fit in comparison to other jazz basses?

I am only posting as I don't live anywhere near a guitar shop and can't get my hands on these basses unless I make a purchase.

Thanks

ToS, Deak and Jackie Clark like this.
  2. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Jackie Clark posts here and he tours with his, so I would imagine it's a great bass that you can do pro work with - no problem.

3. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Go to the music store and A/B the two basses to see which is better.

Trust me, it is a lot easier to go out of your way to try an instrument than to go through all the hassles associated with ordering online, waiting for the package to arrive, unboxing it, realizing that it isn't for you, packing it all up, returning it and waiting another week after it arrives to the place you bought it from before the refund is processed.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Dropzilla

Dropzilla

Jun 23, 2007
    They are comparable to basses around 3 times their price point. where they end up in that comparison is subjective. They are well-built instruments with a powerful preamp.

5. SimonSays

SimonSays

Nov 3, 2016
    Thanks for the input guys! Any of you own one of these?
    My main reason for this thread post was more to distinguish whether to go for the active MIM Fender Jazz or settle for a Sire and save £400+ in the process?

6. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    You can't play a Sire in a guitar shop. It's an online buy only.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Soon Guitar Center will start carrying them and the bass world will never be the same again!
    However, we all know what the Big Three did to Tucker. Will Fender, Music Man and Rickenbacker allow this madness to continue unchecked?

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  8. Panych

Panych

Jun 30, 2014
    I do not have this bass but given a lot of feedbacks and videos about it, I think Sire is a great bass.
    At the same time, all answers like it is "very good for its price" are quite ambiguous and sometimes pointless, because everyone has different perseption and expectation from the particular price point bass.
    It is all in our heads and hands and for sure it sometimes influences on our playability and skills... all of course is IMO....

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    SimonSays likes this.
  9. I own one.
    I will only say that it is a good instrument for the price. I don't believe it compares well with most $2000 basses with a similar configuration.

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    You said it! Just another Fender Clone!
    (Of course I don't own one and never played one, but as TB member that should not stop me from having an opinion!)

11. Dropzilla

Dropzilla

Jun 23, 2007
    I own a 5-string V7 in Ash (natural)
    also, did you mean MIA? because a MIM fender being £400 more than a sire would make the sire a no-brainer for me.

Lo end PUNCH, lowdownthump and CooWoo like this.
  12. SimonSays

SimonSays

Nov 3, 2016
    No, the MIM Fender deluxe active jazz bass. They can sell new anywhere between £800-£1000. I believe they are meant to be a gap filler between the standard MIM and the MIA? A poor man's American Elite.

13. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I have a V7 fretless, and it's a fine bass. I'd rate it higher than any MIM I've played. I haven't played any recent MIAs, so can't comment on that. The Sire is new, so it doesn't have the mojo of my vintage Fenders. I don't think it's as high a quality as my Roscoe, but it was less than a quarter of the price. YMMV, of course.

Lo end PUNCH and NigelD like this.
  14. Dropzilla

Dropzilla

Jun 23, 2007
    Ahh, I see that now. They are more expensive than i thought.

15. SimonSays

SimonSays

Nov 3, 2016
    Going by most TB and external reviews of the Sire basses I'd assume that the high-end MIM Fenders boast better hardware materials, but that's probably about as far as it goes.

Jackie Clark likes this.
  16. Rogue5

Rogue5

Feb 22, 2013
    Indianapolis
    All I know is that it's the best $500. I ever spent on a brand new five string bass.Period.

17. @SimonSays

As you mention £'s, buy one from Thomann. It's free delivery from Germany and they have 30 days return policy.

Mpcorb and DrummerwStrings like this.
  18. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I just received a V7 ash maple 5 this week. In fact, I just put it down for the night after going over some new material. I have a few thoughts and this comes from someone that read the whole club thread and watched all the videos before mine came in.

1. The finish is really fantastic for any price really. Fret work seems good though I do not like a really low action, so can't comment on that.
    2. Everything works on it just fine and does what it is supposed to do.
    3. The hardware leaves a little to be desired, not the best of course but it does work and at this price point it is really not that unexpected.
    4. The sound. This bass sounds really, really good; I can easily see doing pro work with it and there are many cats that are. My main bass is a Sadowsky, and this Sire actually sounds better in passive mode than my Sad. In active mode, then there is a difference but mostly in flavor, they are both very good from a tone standpoint. Now, I don't want anyone getting the idea I said the Sire is better than the Sadowsky. The materials and fine detail on the Sad is better and it should be. If Sire Made a model in the same price range with the same materials and attention to detail as other high end basses it would honestly be an amazing bass.

To put it bluntly this is a great bass. Money aside, no comments like "it's great for how much it cost". I would play this bass at any gig and feel confident that it would sound as good and play as well as any bass I have ever had - in fact my capabilities as a bass player would likely be the weak point! I am not a fan boy for Sire - I am a musician and this instrument will make music.

19. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Hadn't really looked at them, but just took a peek at the P7 - and it ticks a lot of boxes on my list. Worth a shot for $600.

20. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts I like bass. And airplanes. Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    No-brainer compared to MIM Fender. Close, but a tick under the quality of MIA, mostly because of hardware. Finish is great, preamp is outstanding, and honestly I don't know how they manage that at the price point. For me personally, it would be more of a backup or bar/outside bass. But that's personal preference, as I'm not a jazz bass guy.

I may get another one just because. They are great, and even better at the price point. Marcus Miller would not put his name on something he couldn't get out of the box and play onstage. That was my experience too.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021