1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD SKB Golf Staff Bag Case for Plane Travel

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by TideSwing, May 24, 2018.

1. TideSwing

TideSwing Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    NJ
    Price:
    Bought this for a fly-in gig based on the info I researched here for plane travel. I ended up not even using it since the backline for the festival included an EBMM Stingray 4 and 5 which turned out to be setup well and worked out great. Looking for local sale in/near Central Jersey only.

Everything functions perfectly - handle, wheels, latches, key.

Attached Files:

2. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    How big of a gig bag fits? I have an SKB clam shell thing, but it's limited in the length of gig bag it accepts and other dimensions too. This looks better.

3. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I gotta plead ignorance on this one. Is there some advantage to using a golf club case rather than a bass flight case? Do you put your bass inside it in a gig bag and/or use foam inserts? Just too curious not to ask.

feschyn likes this.
  4. TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    NJ
    Getting creative with the placement, I can get my Mono M80 to fit with the foam at the top of the case removed. It's not a drop it in and shut type of thing though.

From what I read on TB, flight cases can be charged oversized/weight fess while golf clubs are never charged fees. Also, the latches are better than the SKB Bass Safe that is harder to keep closed.

Burwabit likes this.
  5. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I appreciate the explanation. I had no idea that airlines didn’t charge oversized baggage fees for golf clubs. Very useful information. Thanks!

TideSwing likes this.
  6. gnergaard

gnergaard Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Chicago, IL USA
    I use a slightly different model SKB golf club flight case occasionally and I can recommend this general strategy, though I don't own this specific model.
    I use mine to fly with two basses in a reunion blues double case with good results. I find that TSA has a much easier time opening this golf club case for inspection than the SKB bass safe model and that equals a higher chance that your bass will get to where you are going when you do. Kind of crucial.

TideSwing likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Really? I stuck with the Bass Safe because these golf club cases are kind of big, but I'm considering one again after getting a bag I love that won't easily fit in the Bass Safe.

TideSwing likes this.
  8. gnergaard

gnergaard Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Chicago, IL USA
    It is way bigger than the bass safe. But not much heavier, can probably hold two bases if you travel with a spare and is still super easy with wheels and handles.
    I use a bass safe for the van/ trailer/ bus but not flying.

TideSwing likes this.
  9. TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    NJ
    Sale pending