1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Skill Level Evaluation and Essential Elements 2000

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by PRUNEFACE, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted on TB but I just had a question about where I am at musically (I would normally ask my teacher but he only rarely gets double bass students... Most are guitar and bass guitar both of which I also take lessons with him on.).

I have completed Essential Elements 2000 book one and almost 3/4 (maybe 3/5?) of the way finished with book two.
    Does anyone have any experience with these books?
    Would I be considered a mid-beginner? A low-intermediate or a high-beginner?

Also, are there any evaluation programs? I hear about people in the UK (and some other European countries) that take these exams for their instruments, is there an equivalent in the US?

Thanks for all who can help.

2. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    here in the uk theres a couple of exam boards but in my experience ive seen people who've past the final exam who still can't really play or more importantly-groove.

over here the books a full of scales, a few differant common bass lines which you learn and then transcribe, chord recognition stuff.

really its about learning the stuff but then using it as a tool to express yourself, in other words, get the music out of you! and i think thats what alot of people don't realize.....its great knowing all the scales and chords in the world, but unless ur able to apply them to a song their pretty useless!

the best thing to do is jam! and evaluate urself (how it sounds, what can i take out or put in, try a differant line or approach) you'll know if you sound bad!

good luck on your search!

:D

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I used those books when I used to teach school. I could tell you where you fit according to NEMC standards but I have a big problem making those kinds of assessments. I actually think it is a big problem with how music education is dealt with period. I get that question all the time from students and I think it has no place in music. It's a journey my friend. Always keep learning and enjoy the ride.

4. well, I understand completely what you are saying but I am more doing it out of respect for the various summer programs that ask for "intermediates", "advanced students," and "high-achieving beginners." I just want to know what I should be doing by how I should fit in.

5. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    do they put you into these classes (beginner intermediate etc.) by what exams you've passed or do they audition you

6. It appears that you simply record on a CD the audition requirements and hope you get selected :meh:
    I honestly don't know what it is based on; all I see is that, for example, the interlochen intermediate program (6th-9th grade) would be my only chance at an interlochen program because this is my 9th grade year and the audition repetoire for the High School Summer Division was Bach Cello Suites... :)eek:) I dont think I'm quite there yet.... hahaha

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Personally I think it is better to go for the slightly higher level, be stretched, work harder and learn more....?

But that does require a "thick skin" and the ability to take tough criticism. If you are the more "sensitive" type and are more likely to crack up under pressure then go for a lower level...?

In many ways it's up to you...?

8. Once again I totally understand what you are saying, but if I haven't learned anything higher than IV position than it would be very challenging for me to read the Bach cello suites and even harder for me to play them. I've been playing for about 3-4 months and take criticism well (as long as it is something useful, ie; "You're overplaying" rather than "That's really bad.") but I just want to have some idea of my competence on the double bass -I know I'm not pro-level and pretty sure that I'm not a pure beginner.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think in that case you really need to have a teacher make that call, who is working with you face-to-face and can see what you are doing ...?