Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jun 7, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

I've just wondered, performed a search, and didn't find the term. So I guess nobody has mentioned this before.

I want to suggest all TalkBassers to try this software. Skype is a totally free telephony software that can be used to make phone calls anywhere. Just plug a headphone set to your soundcard or turn on your speakers, and use your microphone to speak. The sound quality is perfect (for a phone call). Just make sure you don't have any bandwidth-hogger software running. If the conversation takes place between two computers with Skype installed, the call is totally free. But one of the best things is that you can call to any phone number in the world (even cell phones) for a ridiculously low price. The global rate is just 1.7 Euro cent per minute, and there are very slight variations depending on where are you calling to. Here is Skype's home page for full info:

I'm not available at all times, but I'd like to chat by phone with my TB friends. I did it with one TalkBasser from Canada on Dec. 31/04 and it a was great time.

P.S.: This is not an advertisement. I'm in no way affiliated to Skype. It's just that I think this is a great piece of freeware (no bundled spyware, BTW).
  2. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    I have it and it's great! I use it to talk to my parents when I'm at uni.
  3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    This program and service is awesome. I got introduced to it for work and was skeptical. VOIP that works? Yeah right. Then I began calling around the world with it. Damn..sounds better than the regular phone! It's like talking to someone on the phone in stereo. And 95% of the time, it's super smooth, no lag! Sometimes yes, there is lag or a minor echo, but calling around the world for free, as long as they signed up and are on the internet ain't bad at all.

I also bought a phone card to call out to any phone (land line, cell phone, etc) from my computer and damn its awesome. It's like USD 0.02 per minute when converted to US$. I bought $10 worth of credit about a month ago and I've hardly dented it. Very, very cool!

I can almost say, unless the telephone co's force them to shut down or they market themselves stupidly out of business, that this is the future of telephony.

(then again, I thought there would be flying cars by now, so what do I know?)

4. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    You don't even have to worry about bandwidth. I did a bandwidth test and it was using less than 5 kb/s upload and download.
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    just a bump for this...

I just got a MacBook with the Mic and it has speakers, too - perfect for Skype... my brother, who tours, used it while in the UK last month, he said it's flawless!

6. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    skype indeed is the roxor especially as a cheap alternative to something like teamspeak or ventrillo
  7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Alvaro, are you making up words again?

8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use. Wouldn't try anything else probably.
  9. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I find it great for multiplayer gaming, voice chat helps some games a lot. And you can't beat the price :)

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Oh, Do I? (more often than I thought, at least?) :)
  11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I downloaded it a week ago. My main OS is Win98 (my soundcard has no drivers for newer OS) so isn´t working.
    I´m gonna install in Win XP, but gotta buy a mic first.

As soon as I got everything running I´ll try to contact you Alvaro.
  12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

13. Sounds pretty badass. I just need a headset or something, and a non-broken line in.
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I'd use it more if more people I know used it and I didn't already have to juggle two IM programs, all the "all-in-one" IM programs are garbage, in my opinion, with Trillian being the only one that borders on decent.
  15. i just use it to ring home when i want to talk (read borrow money) from the family