Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slanting pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by abriemzh, Aug 18, 2004.

1. hi,

i have an unfinished project, it's 5 string bass mahogany body and has a maple neck. and i'm planning to put EMG 45 DC pickup (designed for 6 string bass) on it. but i can only afford to buy one pickup. so, i was wondering if i could slant the pickup to the " \ " shape to get a good tone for slapping with one pickup.

is it a good idea, or.....
    how would it sound to you guys???? :confused:
    need your opinion, please...... ;)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

manufacturers have used slanting a pup to balance tone, but it's a mild slant and nothing extreme. I don't know if you're talking about slanting one pup to compensate for the use of two but no single pup I've run across can compensate for two. A music man probably comes closest. I don't slap but I'm not a fan of single pup basses even though I typically use very little of a neck pup - it's enough to ad balance that I can't get out of a single pup. There's just more versatility in a pair. Assuming you're going to have to route the bass to fit the pup, I'd go with a bridge pup than add a neck pup when I had the cash to do so.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    all good advice from luknfur. The slant is used in basses like Roscoe and Warwick. It'll balance the tone a bit better, but won't make it inherently more versatile.

One q: why not an emg DC 40? It's designed for five string bass.

4. well, the first reason why i use the 45 DC instead of 40's is because it came so hard to find a 40 DC here in indonesia, available on 45 DC and 35 DC only.
    Then since i only afford to buy one, i wonder to slant the pickup so i can get a little bit of "bridge" sound on the upper string, and also get "middle" sound on the lower string. and i thought the 45 could handle this better than the 40 (since the 45 are longer). i will put the pickup in middle position (but a little closer to bridge) and angle it a little bit,

what would you think? seriously i could only afford one pickup. what would you suggest?

thanx anyway for the info's ;) ;)

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, that's why Warwick and Roscoe do pickup slanting. It's certainly a valid concept, but again I'm not sure how much better it'll make it sound with only one pickup. I can't think of any single pickup basses with a slanted pickup, doesn't mean they're not out there mind you.

As to whether it'll do what you're looking for, there's far too many variables for me to say - I dont' know your tastes or the bass construction (neck through vs bolt on, body wood, neck wood, electronics etc). One thing to consider - should you decide to sell it later it may be easier to sell a bass with a more traditional pickup alignment i.e. straight vs angled.

6. i have the picture of my project design, what do you think about it guys? do i angled the pickup too much??

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, it certainly looks similar to what Roscoe do with their basses. You won't know for sure until you do it, but it looks ok

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Speaking of slant, does anyone know why there's so much slant on P bass pickups?