Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap battle - Marcus or Vic

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spectorphile, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spectorphile

Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    Yes this is subjective. Never the less who in your opinon is a better slapper?

I like Marcus much more, (never mind him being a much more skilled and versatile musician) he is much more vocal with his playing, and his technique and sound are much cleaner and crisper. Mind you Victor Wooten can groove unlike any other bassist i have heard.

2. I don't think there's an answer...they're both so different, from approach to the instrument to tone. They are both SUPERHEROS of the bass world.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Technically, Marcus is a 'slapper' and Vic is not! Although Vic can 'slap' it's not his forte'. Vic employs a technique called 'double thumping' IIRC. Therefore, Marcus is the better 'slapper'! :D

Having said that, I see this as a redundant thread and expect the mods to kill it! :meh:

4. have marcus and wooten ever worked or played together?

i wonder how that would work..

5. Listen to the song "Miller Time" from Vic's Live In America CD. They play together on that tune.

FWIW I think Christian McBride makes them both sound silly!
    :bag:

6. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I picture a "Slap Battle" being a lot like "Breakdance Fighting"

7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    This discussion is obsolete unless you recognize that Larry Graham is the man - IMO. Noone will ever have the sound or feel that Larry Graham has - or the attitude.

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Of the two mentioned, I'd say Marcus is a better slapper....but Juan Nelson would crush either one of them

9. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    Well, they are both monster players.
    Vic as a lot load of chops when he slaps but I think Marcus has more subtilities in his playing in slap. He can make a melody sings with his thumb, which is really not easy!
    SB

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Only by sheer weight.

brad cook

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Why does it have to be about "who is better"? :rolleyes:

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ROFL!!! True, he's a big fella but the nizzle can play!!!

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Tylenol would be the only winner here.

:bag:

14. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Proud to be my new hero? Who cares who's better, go and enjoy their music and learn their styles! :bassist:

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    LOU------IS JOHN---------SON*

16. man who cares... it is music

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.