1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap plate on a Fretless Board?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CannyBusDriver, Jan 31, 2010.

1. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Don't they make slap covers (bronze or copper metal covers to go on your fingerboard where you slap) for fretless basses? This sounds like it would be useful not only tonewise (if that could affect tone) but also keeping the fingerboard somewhat safe.

If anyone knows if this sort of thing even exists please post a link or atleast what these are properly called.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hm. I've never seen on on a fretless.

And people worry about fretless fingerboards because of what the strings do to the board. The slapping on the end of the board ultimately doesn't do much damage.

3. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    alright, thanks
    unless these were sold on ebay or something i dont think i'd go out of the way to make one myself, and from the looks of it that may be my only choice, too much work for too little reason.

4. bassmanjla

bassmanjla

Feb 16, 2010
    Hollywood, CA
    hrmm.. that would make an interesting tonal difference. i play fretless almost exclusively at this point. As my skills improve i'm getting more and more into slapping. One aspect of the "slap tone" is from the strings impacting the frets, (or fingerboard) so i imagine, a ppeice of metal at the end of the fingerboard would make a much more bright sound. would be interesting to experiment with.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Quoted for minor fail.

I've seen them on fretless boards before, both to prevent chipping at the edge of the board and to give a snappier sound to the slap.

Can't find a photo though. It was like a steel bar inlaid right into the bridge end of the fretboard.

6. LiF

LiF

May 11, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vigier used to offer this on their fretless basses.

7. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Courtesy of the great Dave King:
    schwankebody-full.

8. they also have what i recall little metal fixtures for u r thumbs that say brightens up the tone when slapping