Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap Question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rick1906, Dec 17, 2003.

1. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I've been slapping regularly for a few months now and have tried many techniques. However, my tone has this metallic "click" sound that chokes out the true tone when the string hits the frets. It doesn't sound good in my opinion, so I'm trying to get rid of it. Other slappers have told me that the intent is to have a percussive sound, but it is too percussive and the "clicking" sound drives me crazy. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

I was thinking that maybe my action is too low. I was at a camp with Gary Willis and he lowered the action for me. I've gotten used to it and prefer it to be that low, but I don't know if that is what's causing the excessive clicking sound. Any ideas or suggestions? Or does it sound like a technique problem?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Can you post a sample?

3. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I'll try to post a sample if I can. My recording equipment isn't working well right now, but I'll see what I can do. But try to imagine the clicking sound that results from the string striking the frets. It's similar to the sound you get with left hand slaps, but the true note does not ring out as much as it should.

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, so I guess you should raise the action a tiny bit. Also try using a lighter touch for slapping, you don't need much strength.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's the one (IMO) For me, low action even for slap bass. I suggets you try practicing a slap motion where your thumb just grazes the string that is being played and comes to rest against the next (higher string) I find that in actual playing my thumb doesn't usually come to rest against the next string, but practicing that way has improved my technique greatly. Softer slapping is better.

I hope that wasn't to confusing, it confused me a bit typing it....

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yes, it's amazing how slapping (or playing fingerstyle for that matter) with less force can give you more power, speed and control.

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    i agree... for what its worth....

did you try the tv?;)