Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slapping and picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pappas, Mar 9, 2014.

1. pappas

pappas

Aug 12, 2012
    Hey guys. I just started trying to learn the slap and pick. Would love to someday throw it into a gig. We do All Along the Watch Tower, same speed as the U2 version but we do it A, G, F. I think it would be a perfect tune to eventually do a solo slap/pick thing. My comment is, I see these guys on the videos slapping and picking so effortlessly, hand barely moving from position and getting a great sound. Then here I am, it seems like I really have to pull that string to get that great, tinny sound, for lack of a better term. The slap I can see happening with practice, the pick seems like it will be much harder, take longer.

2. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    I think you mean slapping and "popping". To pick, you need to uh... use a pick! The slap/pop style takes time and practice, practice, practice. Use a metronome or drum machine for precision and consistency. After a while you'll find good economy of motion, and understand why flailing around like a maniac is not synonymous with good sound, tone, or feel.