1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small Gauge Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Crimson36, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Crimson36

Crimson36

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm trying to find some flatwound strings for my 5-string warwick thumb. The issue is that I got a set of flats and the low B was at a .130 gauge, which was too big to fit into the bridge. I can't seem to find a brand of flats with a low B anything below a .130. I think it would fit if I could find a .120 or maybe a .125. Do these exist, does anyone know where to find strings like these?

2. ajax1

ajax1 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I recently put SIT powerflats on my 5. String gauge is .045 .065 .080 .100 .125. These are nickel semi- flats but feel like flats to me. I like them. DR Hi Beam flats are .045 .065 .080 .100 .125 and great strings. LaBella Deep Talkin' flats might work for you as well.

Go to bassstringsonline.com or juststrings.com and you can find what you need.

3. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    A flat like the Sadowsky or even LaBellas will have a taper B string that will fit in your bridge no problem.

Sadowsky has a 40-100 set with a .125 low B which is very nice as well.

5. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The new Fender flats also have a tapered B string.

6. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Try GHS Precision Flats ...I think the low B is about a .126 gauge.

7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Just get 2 jewel lets files round and flat.
    Round file hog out just a bit of the bridge piece and with the flat file take a little out of the tailpiece . Or the caveman approach is just place the string on a hard flat surface and tap it a few times with a hammer to make a flat spot where it goes through the tailpiece :/
    I have also found that removing the silk at the ball end can give you juuust enough

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Have you talked to Warwick? A 5 string that cannot accept a 130 B string sounds like a machining problem with the bridge.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    It depends on the .130 string... Some will fit, some wont... There are some taper flatwounds that will work (Labella and Sadowsky B strings are tapered for example)...

10. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    The low B in a set of GHS flats is about 128 gauge.

11. Perhaps the most popular flats, Daddario Chromes, do not have a tapered B string, are .132 gauge and happily work with the famed Warwick 2 piece bridge on my Corvette $$.

What you will find, though, is that you will have to move the low-B side of the 2 piece bridge's lower part farther into the bass body to accommodate the large gauge.

You do that with the 3 side by side allen screws on the upper part of the bridge as you face it while holding the bass in a playing position. Consult the standard generic Warwick Bass Manual for how to lower that side of the lower bridge piece....it's easy.

I confess I am a little suspicious of tapered B-strings. I believe in my case it was responsible for a B string I could just never seem to get intonated properly and I saw the same thing on the two sets I had.