Smoke and electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, May 21, 2016.

1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I know smoke can damage them but I would love to hear from more experienced people. I have very limited space so all my gear hangs out in my living room which gets a decent amount of smoke from me and my roommate throughout the day. No tobacco though. (we are both MMP in a recreation state)

So my question is should I be considerably worried about my gear? I have yet to experience any issues but would hate to have something happen to one of my more expensive pedals or god forbid my amp...

Hopefully before too long I will set up some sort of studio to house my gear but for now there is nothing I can do really... Though I have considered some kind of cloth to drape over my gear as a sort of shield.

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. Other than smell, smoke won't damage things that are solid conductor - copper, solder. IME, it will damage electro-mechanical parts like pots, jacks, and encoders. Some can be repaired or cleaned - clean jacks and pots with electronics cleaner. If encoders or pots get real bad, they have to be replaced I got a smokey Peavey BAM that had grounding issues - the LEDs on the compressor would cause static in the signal when they turned on or off. I eventually traced the bad ground to a dirty vol pot.

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Don't worry about you gear.
    Worry about your lungs.
    I used gear in smoky rooms for years and never had issues.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  4. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Thanks that is what I wanted to hear!

I have been trying to smoke less and take breaks for awhile now, doing a decent job at it.

I am definitely ready for a nice break though.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021