Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sNOw!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jazzin', Dec 16, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I woke up today with 2 feet of snow around my house.:bawl:I guess I wont get to jam today.

Any other cities around MTL with a lot of snow today?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice. Im home from school today with a snow day, more like an ice day. Got 1-3 inches of wintry mix lastnight, its melted/melting now but its nice to be off.

3. Jazzin'

3 inches gets you off of school? 2 feet in montreal is not enough, maybe 3 feet is.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No but the fact that it was ice and the roads were a big ice shoot does.

It usually takes about 6-8 inches.

Our plows are not as effective as urs.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I will call sick for work. I live pretty far, the little country road are really bad. I don't want to kill myself for work!!

I feel guilty though.

6. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Out here we got a pretty good pile, but nowhere near what you folks got in Montreal. I'd guess maybe 8" maximum. Of course, none of the school busses on the Ontario side of the river were running so plenty of kids got the day off. My 1 hour commute turned into 2 hours, but other than that I'm at work as usual.

I'm always surprised at just how badly Canadians can drive in this stuff. I mean, we see it every year, how hard can it be to build up some skills?

Actually, maybe that's just Ottawa folk. People in this city seem a bit soft when it comes to weather and whatnot. Nothing like the prairies that I claim as my own.

-Nate

7. Oh man, we're totally swamped with snow. The ville (city) is already starting to clean it up (my street got plowed sometime this afternoon) but they're always really unorganized. I'm sure some big streets are a huge mess right now.

8. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    That way you can still call yourselves Canadian. Hell, here in the States, schools have taken to closing when there's just a THREAT of snow.

Media hype rules the day.

9. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm in the same boat as figjam. Ice... I had my road test today and passed (luckily). It was the worst conditions i've driven in. Not to mention the directionals in my car stopped working once the test started. Anyway, I have my license now, just in time for terrible driving! :rolleyes:

10. had a mini blizzard last night... so I went to the mall. No line ups... nice

11. It started snowing here in the north-western part of Norway a few hours ago. Alomost didn't get home from my gig :p Pluss here in Norway, schools does not close when there is snow, so, no snowdays for us... :crying:

12. Jazzin'

haha, yup, u silty amaericans. school s r on;y cnacled when its nitypossib;le to get to scgools.

13. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Can you rewrite that later today? You know, once the blood has left your Molsonstream. :D

14. Up here in I-town they used to not close the schools unless the plows couldn't handle keeping the roads clear enough for the busses. That all changed about 3 years ago when the school decided to stay open despite the heavy snow and the threat of 3-4 feet by nightfall. Long story short, the bus contract the district had didn't allow them to call school off early and a bus got into an accident. Although nobody was hurt, it was enough for the school to realize that they were going to get sued into nothingness by any parents whose kids got hurt on a potential snowday.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Nah, it's the same thing around here, especially around major cities in the south. Always, after the first snow there's news on tv: "Slippery roads surprised drivers, small accidents here and there".

I wonder.. "What's this white stuff, blanketing from the sky? Seems vaguely familiar, but I just cannot place it.. Probably nothing serious, then, I'll just keep on driving as I do during the summer."

16. Nothing here yet (Long Island, NY). We had a few inches last week, but it's gone now. We were supposed to get like a foot 2 days ago, but guess what, the weather channel was wrong!!!(WHAT A SHOCKER). We just got a bunch of frozen rain/sleet type stuff. It sucked. I just want some SNOW ALREADY!!

17. Jazzin'

Translation:
    Haha, yup. You silly Americans. Schools (in Canada) are only canceled when it's impossible to get to the school.

18. I'm in your prairie home and it's no better. Most people are convinced that their all season tires will brake in the same distance on ice as on asphault. I don't know why they think that, but they do. Also, they seem to run red lights more. Instead of driving more slowly so they could make the stop, they just continue driving when the light turns amber from even further back.

I wish we'd had 2 feet of snow. I'm pretty sure there's not enough snow for me to take out my Dad's Polaris RMK800 next weekend. I'm sure it will overheat.

19. In all honesty, if the cities don't have the infrastructure to deal with the snow then a little bit is a big problem. If everyone's driving around on summer tires not expecting snow and then there's even a few inches it can be a big problem. If the buses can't run then some kids could be stuck at school. I doubt the schools want that.

20. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    It never snows out here on my wee island in the middle of the Atlantic.

I want pictures! :D