Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So...1 gig...26 songs plus backing vox

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dan, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    and 1 day to learn them all...shouldnt be to hard then...

:rollno:

2. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Lol, are you going to learn by ear or tab? I guess leave the backing vox to last and get the bass right first. Also concentrate on roots initially...good luck

Steve

3. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    half and half...theres some originals that I will have to learn by ear but the covers I can get tablature for. It probably wont be as hard as I think it will after all they arent very complex songs.

4. Good luck. I'd be watching the guitarists fretting hand like your life depended on it, or get some cheat sheets, and put them on the floor, no music stand. ;)

5. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    yeah, cheat sheets had crossed my mind. I might do that actually. DEFINATELY no music stand though :scowl:

6. What's with all the negativity against using music stands? I use them sometimes, the band I run sound for uses them all the time, audiences don't even notice.

What the audience WILL notice: if you suddenly go off on the wrong key, or lose the bottom end because you're fumbling to read the charts on the floor. THAT sucks and could lose you future gigs. :eek:

So put a stand off to the side, with a little light and a few little cheat sheets, and rock the house. Trust me, it's much much better than getting lost.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +27 and a half

8. All comes down to what kinda gig you are playing (regarding music stand). This topic has been discussed before on T.B.. If its a rock gig, I personally wouldn't use a stand. Jazz, big band, orchestra, classical ect are good situations to use a music stand. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

9. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Has the gig happened yet? If so how did it go?

Steve

10. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    No, its tonight... I think ive got all the songs nailed so hopefully everything should go ok. Its a punk band by the way so a lot of the songs proved to be much easier than I had first thought.

The problem that I have had is that because some of the songs are very similar I keep forgetting which song I am playing.

Oh well, I will let you's all know how it goes. :bassist:

11. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Hmm, never really considered that... I've always thought that cheat sheets can't be used on gigs, and this opinion was based on matters of moral, but only on them. I thought that a bass/guitar player wont be able to interact with the crowd if he depends on cheat sheets.
    Now about the practical side of the issue. What's written on them? Basic riffs, roots, or what?

12. The Idea of a cheat sheet is not so you sit there and stare at the floor all night with the ingredients on how to make a 6 course dinner. basic promps, sorta like a palm card. If i have a cheat sheet, usually all I have are chords or some times the stucture of the song like:

V1
    V2
    Chorus
    Ect, ect, ect

And I only ever use a cheat only If I have to. I think the idea of a music stand at a punk gig not only suicidal, but not very smart visually, which is my point from a previous reply.

And when one is given 1 day to prepare and learn 20 odd songs, I think morals go out the window, it's more like self preservation and trying to avoid 'Trainwrecks" .in my experience anywhy, Logically speaking. ;)

Being versatile on the fly can be the difference bettween getting a gig and not, It is a good attribute to have if you are a serious player . And I can 100% garuntee you, the band are not going to say 'u suck' if you have a cheat sheat. Giving a days notice, they are in no position to dictate a negative vibe like that.

13. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I was in the same position as you about a month or so ago, less songs though and no backing vox.

I was lucky on the whole music stand business, we had some huge monitors, seriously huge, i just stuck little prompt sheet with the set list on.

As far as memorising the songs, i have found the best way to do it, is either take a little recorder of some sort which will record the whole band with defintion and right down the list of songs you play. Then listen to this like when your sat at your pc or doing something where you can have background music. Start out by hearing the song and then remembering what it is called and then move on to getting the music in yuor head so you can do it from memory. It takes time but it has helped me ALOT!

Just a little bit of advise! :)

14. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    Ok I did the gig. Thanks everybody for your advice.

It was never going to be the best gig but to say it went well would be an understatement. The crowd seemed to be having a really good time which as most of already know, this is a great confidence at a gig your playing. I played every song inc backing vocals on most with very few hicups. In the end I didnt need the cheat sheets as We only played about 18 of the songs.
    we actually dropped some of the ones that I had been more concerned about. (not because I was worried about them but they were part of a selection that we collectively decided not to play.)

It actually turned out that we were the best band IMO on the lineup of 3 bands. I may be a bit biased though :ninja:

15. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    Oh yeah...before I forget. Incase anybody else ever happens to get in a situation like this I found that spending a few hours learning the songs, then listening to the CD for a few hours at work (when i couldnt play) then re playing the songs helped loads. You start to recognisse patterns and you know where the song is going to go next without even being that familiar with it. As long as you know all the different parts to it you can pretty much work out as your playing what bit goes where.

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Good job Dan!
    I was in a similar posistion during this summer, except I had 25 songs and one week to learn them all. The gig went well, our singer didn't know some of the songs so we did instrumentals (who woulda ever known Metallica and Iron Maiden instrumentals sound amazing?!). We had a few hiccups and had to stop playing once, but everyone just thought it was the end of the songs :-X. I wouldn't tell them any better. All in all though, everyone said it sounded good, and that's all that matter, if THEY like it, not if I missed the fourth beat on the 56234709th measure.
    Ray

17. Dan

Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks!

I think being in a situation like that is good experience to have...although I wouldn't wanna do it every week. :smug:

18. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    @Dan:happy for you! Wouldnt like to be in your position... Ever! ;)

OKay, I tried to play a couple of songs i was familiar with (but hadn't played them before), and I found a solution: if i forget a certain part, I just play the root notes till i get over that part. Doesnt make me stop, and gives time to remeber what I'm supposed to play.
    Now the question is: I'm not an experinced player, playing just a couple of months. I have hearing good enough to improvise in case of need, but will I be able to do the same thing oin the stage? Actually, I just played 2 songs on the stage as a bass player by now, and I have no experince of gigging.

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Root notes will never fail you...

20. If you get lost in a song: Turn your volume down, turn around and look at your amp....
    and start kicking it, like it's a technical fault, Regain composure,work out where u are in the song again, turn volume up, and start playing. (works everytime).

Note: not a good Idea. ;)

I wood be foolish to kick my 8+10 cab, my foot wood come off second best.