1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So erm yeah.... Meatbox

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jul 17, 2012.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Got one inbound, the epic quest only lasted about 2 weeks before I was able to snag a mint one on ebay, reasonable price, probably the most I'll ever pay for a Dod pedal.

Going to have a very fun board brewing :D

2. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    MAD SUBS are coming your way. MAD I say, MMMAAADDDD!

3. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I AM SUPER JELLY, BRO.

4. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    I have bunch of pedals... this one is far and above my favorite. but also the least use due to being on the 3rd floor apartment

5. wasn't sure if i'd post this at all here. but i just got an octamizer and as much as I love the meatbox, I feel it does low lows almost the same and you get more of a growl with it, if you want. Or it could do straight subs, and i honestly feel it tracks better. I know its still available and all, but if you could get your head around that, its an amazing pedal that does the meatbox almost exactly. It weird not that many people have figured this out yet. And I'd like to thank Shep from our helical mind for bringing this to my attention

6. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    +1

I accidentally stumbled on how to create subs with my Octamizer recently and it's amazing.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I was wondering about that. I see all the fuss that folks make over a Meatbox and I was wondering why nobody has done a clone of one if it's that popular. Guess Aguilar already did it, only much better :)

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah I spoke to Shep about the Octamizer and I was tempted to get one but I was lucky enough to find a meatbox for less than the new price of an Octamizer.

Have you done a comparison of the meatbox and Octamizer through a PA or just an amp, my understanding is you need a really big PA to appreciate it.

When Higgie gets back from his cruise gig I'll be able to do a comparison but by then Shep will have had a good few weeks with his.

It's certainly interesting as its one hell of a plus to getting the Octomizer

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    The main component is a chip and it's now quite rare and expensive

10. well, it seems like you can get the sound, but then you wouldn't have the fll octave effect. If you can have both, first put the sub wth the meatbox to fill the lows and then give that an octave, there you have a BIG, FAT SOUND!

11. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    Well...

There was no gig at a local venue last night and I'm friendly with the soundman so I took the Octamizer and the meat box along with my rig to the venue to test these out through a real PA with subs. The venues subs are mental, we've played there before and the low end is devastating. They roll off very little until you hit 20Hz....

I've been singing the Octamizers praise for a while for the sub duty (in honesty I'm not a fan of it as a regular octave pedal, but love the sub) and have used it in the past at this venue so we knew what to expect. MASSIVE. Real thump in the ribs and throat. At full on volume from the PA it's uncomfortably low. I love it, the soundman loves it.

Onto the Meatbox. OK, firstly the thump is now in the stomach. Through a GOOD bass rig you can hear the MB is a little lower in it's core sound that the Aggies with that filter rolled back, but through a PA it has a HUGE hump around 30Hz with a Q that makes it reach frequencies much lower. This makes the venue move more. No doubt about it, your feet start to tingle a little it's that low.

BUT - and there is a but here, the Octamizer's frequencies can be heard better. The pay off for room movement is small - It shakes the place, but the fact of the matter is that the frequency response of the Octamizer is not only a little more musical, the way that it 'hits you' from a PA like that makes you 'feel' as though it's more sub and having a bigger effect on you.

The Aggie also has the added bonus that it tracks better, over lower notes and doe snot distort as the MB does on lower notes. Man behind the desk agrees they are both brutal and was pretty surprised by how low the MB goes for such an old bit of kit. If he could own one and only one to drive his venue subs he'd pick the Octamizer. As a primary sub tone - I'd pick the Octamizer too!

Interestingly we tried these not only direct to the PA routed to the subs, but also through the DI of my Genz amp head and a really decent bass responsive mic on the cab to test the 'you really need a PA sub to get the most out of this' - To my ear, and the ear of the sound man there was VERY little difference. The mic had a tiny loss of floor shaking, which is likely the response of the mic as opposed to the cab, but the DI was amazing... a good nod for Genz DI's! Also worth noting that any venue worth it's weight that has high powered subs also has the required power, EQ and filtering to drive them amazingly without you needing to bring your own pedal to do it for them (with the exceptions of on/off dynamics).

I'm rebuilding my board over the coming weeks and hope to get both pedals on there so the MB is available for single 'sub blast' moments on those few resonant notes it really loves and in smaller venues without PA support. If I can only fit one then it will be the Aggie without a doubt as the MB can't track low enough and stay smooth and clean.

PS... Ste - I'm interested to hear your experience when you put it against some serious PA action. If you make it over to our studio as you expressed you might soon I'll show you the different effects side by side but I think you'll agree that the differences are very slight.

I guess street cred aware goes to the MB though....

Shep

12. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    Great review! I didn't have the Meatbox long enough to run it through a live rig. I'm mostly hitting massive lows via my dod fx25 with the sensitivity turned all the way down.

Curious what you mean by on/off dynamics. I have to run the fx25 through my Aggie tlc so it's not a huge difference in volume with it On vs off

13. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    Ah.... What I meant was that if you rely on the PA's EQ to give you sub then you will have constant sub following every note. By driving the subs with a pedal you only get massive subs when the pedal is engaged... Allowing you to retain the dynamics you intended in the music between the subs being on and off.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    It's definitely very interesting, I was over at Matamp today and the Meatbox is going to do very little through my amp and with the hump the octamizer might be better heard. But I'm still looking at it as a PA pedal. Defo cool you got to try it in that setup Shep, mine should arrive Monday and I can give it a test towards the end of the week.

I'm up in the air at the moment, mainly due to my MB being cheaper than the aguilar so it's much of a muchness as to which I have eventually but I have a lot of DOD on my experimental pile. I also have an FX25 so will see how that all fits in when the MB arrives.

Subby fun!

15. I have an FX-25 and it definitely sounds great as a LPF, with the sensitivity all the way down and the envelope effect all the way up, but I was finding it cuts too much volume. I really wanted a completely clean boost to pair with it, or even better to run it in a loop with a gain control like an sfx or LS-2. Are you not experiencing the same volume drop w/ the fx-25? Are you using it with a sub-only October to kick up the volume?

16. You got remember that with the meatbox all knobs work together and some cancel each other out. So I don't understand how some sub harmonics are more audible then others. The A/B comparisons must have been dialed into different frequencies.

Can the Aguilar feedback onto it self? It doesn't get any better then that with the meatbox. That's if you want sub drones of course.

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well I tried it yesterday and I didn't experience a volume drop from the fx25, but it wasn't at a really loud volume and it's not in a band setting though for what I'm doing it won't be.

MB arrived Monday and I'm very excited to try it in my setup

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Sub drones sound very fun :D

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    [​IMG]

So that setting for Sub drones????? :bassist:

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    This is a lot of fun, and I only have a 15w valve amp to try it with at home :D